Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Surprise

SURPRISE!!!!

(Notice the purple and lime green for Lymphoma awareness ;)


Yes, I may just have the best family and friends a girl could ask for :) Not only did I get my new cowboy boots for my birthday...I got my 'I beat cancer' celebration party too!



Here's the story...
I knew when I heard 'disease free' I wanted to celebrate and what better day to celebrate than on my birthday! So as I was planning my party, it just seemed like nothing was going my way...It fell right in the two busiest weeks of work, it was cold and basically rained everyday for a month straight, our house wasn't finished, and people were going to be out of town (yes, excuses they all gave me knowing I had a surprise party awaiting me). So I cancelled my party...knowing I'd be around because I kicked cancer's butt, I postponed it until the warm days of summer and knowing the Relay for Life event would be a great celebration day as well (yes, you should all come to the fairgrounds on June 10 at 6pm - June 11 til noon to celebrate Life!). So I was really pumped up as my parents said 'Lets go to Japan West for sushi' on Saturday, the day before my birthday. So as we were headed out, my parents needed to drop off something at my sisters house and all the sudden...my dad pulled into her drive way and started beeping the horn. I was like 'Dad! Don't beep the horn that many times...this is Lima!' But before I knew it, I heard SURPRISE!!!

That's when I saw all these legs underneath the garage door! I was really shocked...then even more shocked when the first person I saw was my friend Amy who was wearing a bright yellow shirt because she lives in Texas! Then I looked around and saw some of my very best friends, closest family, and coworkers, I was just stunned. Over 40 people were there to wish me a happy birthday and give me my 'I'm cancer free' celebration party. I have the best friends and family.



Here's me finally figuring it out that I'm not going to Japan West for sushi, and that it was actually a party for me! Now if any of you know me, I am all about a party, but I hate being center of attention. At my wedding, I was about sick the entire time until we got to the Porter Pub and it was just my immediate family and a few others. But this was great, I knew everyone, the food was fabulous, and the LAUGHS we had was just icing on the cake! We had champagne for a toast and I wanted to say a great speech, but my mind went blank for an audience...so here is my toast now....

'You guys are some of the most important people in my life. This year wouldn't have been as successful as it was if I didn't have the support of the people there that day. From my grandparents who's prayers for me were unending, to my sister's support through jokes and wine, to my 'girls night out' with my girls in town, to friendships so old you are like sisters, to caring so much you'll fly in from Texas, to my coworkers who took on the stress so I didn't have to, to my brother and his friends for always bringing a party (even when I was all chemo'd up and making me laugh), to the most awesome of extended family that you are like immediate, to my parents for a love that is unconditional, to my husband of almost 2 years, you took on more than any man should...I am so proud to be your wife. I am proud of you for everything you've accomplished and the things that are to come for us. I am so honored to one day have a family with you and that my children will call YOU daddy. I love you with every piece of me AJ. And to God...for being my rock, my confidant forever, my forgiver, my saving grace. I would not be where I am today without you God and these amazing people you put in my life.

So here is to you, the people who care so much about me to have kept this all a secret, who took time out of your day to celebrate life, MY life...that I will never take for granted again. If I can repay you, here is my advice to you...Live everyday to the fullest because it could be taken away in a second. Live that life here on earth with the Lord as your wingman, guiding you in all you do, because there is simply no other way to do it. This year has shown me that I am not afraid to die anymore, because this is not my home, it's in heaven with the Lord Jesus because of His grace. See you there.'

Now, there were some people who weren't at the party...you know who you are and you are still loved :)


(Sorry for the lack of pictures, I'm the photographer of the family and since it was for me, I didn't take the pictures. But lets just say there were some memories that were made that will be in our minds forever...'hang the rock' mom :)

The original Hochstetler girls...now we are Hefts, Gromans, and Nances :)

The love of my life, my best friend, the person God put here just for me to love and admire... my AJ :)

So once again, a sincere THANK YOU... and CHEERS to many many many more birthdays to come because I beat cancer and am living 'disease free' (man, I'm ready to hear remission soon :)

2 comments:

  1. Great party Laura, it sounded like you had a blast. I can't wait to see you in one month and celebrate again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun and love reading your point of view! Here is to many, many more years and surprises!!

    ReplyDelete