Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 1 of The Maker's Diet


Oh, if my keyboard was a bar of chocolate right now...

I just feel like I have to tell you about this so far...Seriously, you want to see God? Give up the foods you typically eat and eat something you literally have to force down your throat!  
I am very adamant about sticking to this diet for the next few weeks because I know the benefits in the end both physically, spiritually, and emotionally.  However, I didn’t think I would come up with some realizations about food so quickly. Like... 
#1 - I can’t believe how I have taken the taste of food for granted.  
#2 - How much I depend on Andrew for support.
#3 - How happy chocolate chip cookies, girl scout cookies, chocolate cupcakes...chocolate basically, makes me.
#4 - But how much HAPPIER I am because I feel that much closer to God and have shown self control.

So let's start with #1...Day 1 of the diet and I was gagging by lunch time yesterday.  I have a pretty bad gag reflex anyway, but when it came to eating tuna salad, it was just not going to go down my throat.  I like tuna casserole and tuna in other things, but in this tuna salad I made -wow- lets just say that after the first two gags, I plugged my nose for the rest of the sandwich to get down.  I did it though as I thanked God for the foods that will make me healthy…like tuna.  
#2 - Andrew agreed to do this with me and it has been a great way to lean on him for support.  I can call him up and tell him how hungry I feel when he is working, and he can encourage me to stick with it.  Makes me love that man a little more for taking this on with me.
#3 - I'm just going to make a list of foods that make me happy because since I can't eat them right now, I'll just close my eyes and think of them as I type...chocolate-anything chocolate, Oreos, noodles and mashed potatoes, blizzards from DQ, pretzels, peanut butter, sushi, Captain Crunch, mac and cheese, PIZZA, Chinese food, La Cha's, pasta, bread, ohhhh and the taste of a Carter Bar from Bath High School would be AMAZING!!!!!
#4 - Even though all of those foods sound incredible right now, I'd still give them up in a second for the experience I have had with God so far.  Nothing like praying for the food to go down your throat, and then seeing how spoiled you are that you just prayed for that.  I instead gave thanks to God for the Life that I have and the choices I have everyday to make.  Those choices now are helping me to live a healthier life, not only for me, but for my family.  Eating healthier gives my family the opportunity to have me around a few years longer.  And as I told Andrew on February 13 when I presented him with my plan to get healthy (it was a special date because it was 10 years ago to the day when I first met him at his church, on stage playing that guitar-knowing that THAT was the kind of guy I was going to marry one day, never dreaming I could be so blessed to have it be HIM) I told him that I want 10 more years with him and although this diet will not be convenient, fun, or particularly tasty, I want to do it because I love him that much and will do anything to see our dreams come true :) 
So as of yesterday, I am 'eating to live' now, instead of 'living to eat' and it feels good to do something for my body, a body that is finally thanking me for after the last couple years I've put it through.  

.


No comments:

Post a Comment