Friday, February 24, 2012

My best Remission check up yet!

It's that time again...another 4 month cancer check up.  So I've made a habit of reading through a few of my old blog post before I head into my appointments because it helps me remember how far I've come, and if I hear bad news for some reason, it reminds me that I can do this all over again if I have to.  It's crazy the things you forget if you don't write them down...like I look back now and I can't believe the I ever asked my sister to keep my cancer a secret for 5 days, or how I was SO afraid of needles the way I was, and I'm still amazed at the amount of support I got from so many people who didn't even know me.  It was a year ago that I became disease free, heading into a new life of remission and this past year has been interesting without any cancer in my body.  I've looked at situations differently than what I would have before...things that may have bothered me before, don't bother me so much now.  I guess that is one good thing that comes out of being in the 'Cancer Group'.  I'm proud that I've been able to take what I've learned from cancer and try to apply it as much as possible to my everyday Life situations.  'Life' and all it's situations is just God allowing me to gain more wisdom for the future and the future is what you make it...I'm gonna make mine worth it :)

Ok, enough of my rambling and on to what I know you really want to know............I heard those sweet words that bring a smile to my face, I am still in Remission.  And have never had a better check up! :)  My tumors are not growing and my lab results were never better!  I have never had my blood work come out so good and I credit that to daily exercise and healthy eating.  I have cut back on processed foods a TON and have exercised at least 4 days a week.  I told my parents a few days ago that I think I just have a sensitive body and if I don't take care of it, it starts to act pretty temperamental.  I haven't had nearly the stomach aches as I typically do and I have more energy than ever.  This could all be a result of all the meds getting out of my system too from the past year, but I know the changes I have tried to make and I really think it has helped.  So with that being said, next week Andrew and I are starting The Maker's Diet for the next 40 days.  This is not a 'diet', it's just a meal plan that can cleanse your system by going back to eating the foods we were meant to eat.  It is going to be very challenging, but I'm up for it if it's going to help my body become even more healthy by reducing my chances of diseases, inflammation, ease my digestive track, and balance my hormones...who knows, with balanced hormones, I may just get that baby on my own with out fertility after all!  I'm excited for this next adventure in my health life :) Oh, and I've made it to the 6 month check up point! Now I will only see Dr. Powell ever 6 months unless something comes up before then.  It will be six months in August and I'm gonna say that as quick as time has been flying by, it will be here before we know it!

On the other health note, I recieved word from my neurologist.  She spoke with another neurosurgon and the next step is to go back down to Columbus for the day to recieve a CT arteriogram.  This is a test that will show the blood vessels and arteries in my neck and brain and show how the blood is flowing.  The best part is that I'm staying there that day until my results come back so I don't have to wait for them for a long time.  I'm really glad these doctors are checking into evereything because I tell you what, nothing is more frustrating than to not know how to fix something and feeling like you are at the end of the road.  Very discouraging and can make for a pretty grumpy Laura :)  Please pray that either we find something that is causing this pressure, or that these symptoms somehow float away. Thanks :)

And last but not least...remember how each time I hear remission, I'm going to try to cross another thing off my bucket list? Well, I got out my paint brushes and bought a canvas and here it is.  My first painting displayed.  Please do not ever look at it up close because I had 100 things go wrong from running out of paint, to a dog chasing a cat.  This painting was extremely simple, yet was inspired by a store sign I saw in Iowa that looked like this.  But it's not about the painting anyway, it symbolizes so much more...determination, energy, Life - and the beauty of it.  Thank you for being apart of my Life.



1 comment:

  1. Love the painting, Laura, and congratulations on one more chance to say, remission.

    ReplyDelete