Sunday, September 11, 2011

5K Run to Remember...and to celebrate!

AJ and I after RUNNING the 5k!I just participated in something that I believe was the best way to both remember and celebrate Life on the tenth anniversary of 9/11. The Lima Fire Department set up a 5K Run to Remember today where people could run, the firefighters could run with their gear on, and then had a Memorial Ceremony where the mayor, the fire chief, a pastor, and the union president spoke. So when I heard about this a month ago, I knew it was something I wanted to do in honor of the firefighters AND because a 5K was on my bucket list! I started running on August 21 (after I got back from my trip) and for me, this was more of a mental battle than a physical battle. So I knew I would need Andrew to run with me to keep me going the whole way because my goal was to RUN this whole thing...and he did his job. I RAN THE WHOLE 5K!

I am so proud of myself, the others who were at the 5K, my firefighter husband, his brothers at the Lima Fire Department, and all the firefighters in America. I am so proud that THIS was the 5K I can mark off my bucket list because this was an event that was close to my heart. I ran this 5K not only because of my personal goal in celebrating my life after cancer, but also to honor all the firefighters that I admire so much and to remember the ones we lost on 9/11 . It was a sight I will never forget to see the firefighters running with their full gear on, feeling what it was like on that day back on 9/11. I am so grateful for the firefighters who have the courage to go into the places that I would so easily run away from. So thank you AJ and all the firefighters in America and may God bless and protect each and everyone of you!

As I was watching one of the 9/11 documentaries, one firefighter said 'Its not the severity of the event that changes you, it's how you interpret it that does.' and I agree. Cancer didn't change me, but how I interpreted the whole thing did. After beating cancer, I didn't want to keep 'saying' I'll do things...I wanted to actually DO them. So putting a 5K on my bucket list and then having the opportunity to do it for this cause was absolutely perfect. I am unbelievably proud of my husband for his commitment to save lives and unbelievably proud of myself for fulfilling this goal of mine.

Cheering on the firefighters as they run!

The start of the Memorial Ceremony

1 comment: