Friday, June 3, 2011

Back to where my Pursuit started...Orange City, Iowa

Iowa 2010 - Where my Pursuit started...

Iowa 2011, A Year Later - I've come full circle...I get my results on Thursday :)


************************************************************************


A week ago I was in Orange City, Iowa...

The place where 'it' all started.

If you remember about a year ago, Orange City was where I was headed when I found out I had cancer. Orange City was where I had my first sleepless night. Orange City was where I kept my secret from my family until I got back. Orange City was the start of my Pursuit. Orange City is a city I now hold a little closer to my heart because it was where I met this whole new family and support system...

Orange City, Iowa was where Andrew's mom is from and where Andrew's grandma still lives. It's a small dutch town full of tulips and small businesses. I saw this town for the first time last year and a cousin's wedding brought us back this year. It was a little surreal to be there this year. It really didn't hit me until I walked into Uncle Ken and Aunt Judy's house, the house where we stayed last year. I went to change my clothes for the wedding in the bedroom we stayed in last year...and I just had to pause. I couldn't help but remember that scared girl who slept in there a year ago. I remembered how Andrew literally took me in his arms in the middle of my sleepless night, prayed over me, and talked with me until the morning hours came. That was the place where I have never been more nervous and scared, because the only thing I knew about cancer was that I had it. The scariest word I could think of. I didn't know the stage, the treatment, the outcome, I didn't know how long I was going to live. I can honestly say that I was scared that night. But when I came back to the living room after I changed into my dress, where all the family was to celebrate the unity of Andrew's cousin Kyle and his fiancee Heather, I was reminded of how far I've come since last year. How each and every person in that room had such faith and prayed so hard for me, and here I am...a year later...still alive with a renewed spirit! How blessed I am to have a second chance at life and to have this extended family who took me in when they didn't even know me and start my Pursuit exactly on the right foot, with God as our refuge and strength. Who knew my strength would come from such a weak time in my life? This trip in a way was closure for me. I went back to that room a day later, and smiled this time when I left. I'm not the same girl that was there a year ago...

The trip was 12 hours and we stopped in Chicago for a little bit...Nope, I didn't see Oprah on the streets :(Tim, Beth, and the newlyweds Heather and Kyle, Andrew, and Me. Congratulation you guys! It was a beautiful wedding and reception...did you see the shine shine through the windows when he pronounced you man and wife yet? It was the NEATEST thing!!
This is a picture of most of the Kalsbeek cousins hanging out at the table at the reception. The last time we were all together was 5 years ago for Tim and Beth's wedding. We have added to the family since then...their family welcomed Me, Cory, Grant, and Heather with open arms and new grandbabies too- the triplets Hailey Emily and Addison, and Kamryn and Bryce. Wish we could all get together more often, this family is loads of fun!

A crazy story!! While we were dancing, we took a break and sat back down at our table when his cousin Kristine saw the next table's flower arrangement start on fire from a candle being too close! Good thing Andrew and Grant are both firefighters! They got up right away looking for anything to put it out (they had just cleared ALL our tables). It started quick and before we knew it, it was in flames and black smoke was pouring out. Andrew found a Mountain Dew and started pouring it on when another man from another table who had just gotten a bottle of water started pouring it on too. Grant and Andrew took the flower arrangement outside and saved the day. Thanks guys!! A funny face picture with Hailey
What the boys did during gift opening...a putt putt tournament :)
What was really neat was that before everyone left to go back to Ohio, Colorado, Wisconsin, and South Dakota, we all took a family picture with Grandma Kalsbeek. I can't wait to get it back and show you all this family who was there for me during a time when I needed a family the most... because mine was in Ohio. Thank you for your prayers and support this past year!! Your families hold a special place in my heart for taking such good care of me the first couple days when I found out I had cancer and was so far away from my own family. Love you!



Psalm 103:17 But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment