Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Celebrating Life...at Relay for Life 2011

What a weekend! I have been super busy with friends and family this weekend (Relay, weddings, cookouts, physical therapy, birthdays, and boating!) that right now is the first chance I have to tell you about this amazing weekend I just had.

Relay for Life started last year for me when I decided back in August 2010 that I was going to pay the cancer world back for helping me live. So when Relay for Life was presented to me, it seemed fit for me to take on this challenge, especially this year. I had 14 wonderful people offer to help me out and be on my Team Pursuit to help with the raffle, walk at the event, and just be a constant supporter throughout this past year. Just like cancer isn't a piece of cake, the weekend wasn't either. After many hours of planning, the weather still got us (The old saying here is that if it's raining, it must be Relay weekend- its rained 14/17 years they have had it here). From rain in the morning moving our tent site to a different spot and a sudden thunderstorm taking down our tents, we had to keep using the old phrase NEVER GIVE IN and push on throughout the night. We were lucky though because it was still bright and sunny for the opening ceremony with the survivors lap and team recognition lap!

Here's some pictures to take you through our night...

~My 'official' Team- Ash, Dena, Joyce, Michelle, Andrew, Tim, Dad, Mary, Mom, Sarah, Me, Beth, Alaina, Jenn (and Krysti-but she was on the road) as well as many many others who helped me out along the way (a special shout out to Bev, Carla, Linda, Tara, Jayne, Julie, John, South and Apollo, and others who helped the team out too!)

~The theme of Relay was 'A night at the movies' and I got to walk the red carpet! I was privileged to do this since I had heard REMISSION only 1 day before :)


~ The survivors got to take the first lap around to start off the event!


~Here is my amazing support system...it wouldn't have been the same without you guys!!


~Wow, what a moment I had that I will never forget. :)


~This man deserves more than a high five, he put up with me this year!


~Love you AJ!

~Getting our poster for the Team Recognition lap. We are a GOLD team because of how much we raised...keep reading and I'll tell you how much!


~Team Pursuit is in the house!!

~My team walking the track with me!~So here is our site themed "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly' at the beginning of the evening...it was a beauty! Lets say it is 'The Good' part of the good, the bad and the ugly...



~Then here is 'The Ugly' part. These are the clouds AFTER the storm hit...imagine what they looked like during! I have NEVER seen clouds move so fast, be so low, and seriously make me think that a tornado is coming! What was crazy was it looked like it was going to miss us, but in a matter of minutes, the wind blew it straight towards us and everyone had to get into the building for shelter because the strong wind starting blowing everything away!

SCARY!! ~Here's my 'The Ugly' picture. We lost two of our tents and could only salvage one. ~And after we found all of our stuff throughout the fairgrounds, we put it all back together as best as we could. Just goes to show you can plan all you want...but sometimes life takes a different route.



~At dusk, we has a remembrance service to remember those who lost their battle and honor the ones who are still alive. I lit one for you Aunt Marlyn, and in honor of you Sue, Kara, and Ginny. You all helped me this past year because you had the strength the share your own story with me :)~Oh yes, this was an ALL NIGHT event and some of us stayed til the morning hours...and I was the ONLY one to stay awake the whole time! Yes, I beat you too dad because you did shut your eyes a few times! ;) It was so crazy, in the middle of the night, I just walked and walked. Who knew where that energy came from! It was just the best place for me to be to end my Pursuit. It was almost a year to the day that this whole thing started, and to have that time to reflect as I walked was priceless.


~I tried to walk at least one lap with each of my team members so that I could tell them how much their support has meant to me. So here is a picture of my very last lap of Relay for Life 2011 in the morning...with my moma :)


This was quite the experience for me. It wasn't easy, I keep saying I missed the first 5 chapters to leading this team...but this verse stuck when I looked up verses about supporting eachother. Rise up; this matter is in your hands. We will support you, so take courage and do it." Ezra 10:4 And we certainly fulfilled this verse!


What an experience to lead this team, support a cause which a year ago meant nothing to me, and to see true support. I'm not just talking about my team here, but ALL of you who either donated your time or money. As I sat on Monday night, and counted it all, I was in awe. Not because of the amount of money, but because of the tremendous amount of support written all over those dollars. I looked at it all, sat back, and felt completely humbled that you all would care so much about this cause to give so graciously without any question. Wow, it brings tears to my eyes. Thank you. You guys, with the $500.00 sponsorship from the Lima Fire Department, we raised ......... $6,510.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!That is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My goal for our team was $3,000....if we raised that much, I was going to be ecstatic! Now I'm just over the moon!!!



At this point, I'm not sure if I will have my own team next year. Walking that last lap really felt like I had made it full circle and closed this chapter of my life. This year and this team was just so special, I was able to celebrate life with so many people I care about. I'm happy, so happy, and very content with my life at the moment. But I will still participate in another team next year and hopefully the Survivors lap again, and again, and again :) Thank you for taking the time to be apart of my life this year. From reading this blog to donating money to help others beat cancer. I keep using this word support, but that's truly what you all have done. Thank you for making Relay for Life a moment I will never forget. We succeeded my friends, not only at the event...but in beating cancer.



Make sure to check back on June 17, it will be one year since I found out I have cancer...and I have a little something special I've been working on to show you.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe our team raised so much! Thank you Laura for being such an amazing person. We were so honored to be a part of Relay this year and look forward to doing it with you next year on your team or doing it solo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss rubbing your bald head, but I don't miss you having cancer. Love you my cancer free sis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LAURA, I COMMEND YOUR AMAZING TEAM OF FRIENDS AND FAMILY ON HOW MUCH MONEY YOU RAISED. YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB AND I HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT. THE RELAY IS A LOT OF WORK. BUT FOR ME AFTER 17 YEARS, I DON'T THINK I COULD LIVE WITHOUT IT. RELAY RUNS IN MY VEINS,ESPECIALLY SINCE I SEE ALL THE GOOD IT DOES IN THE FIGHT AGAINST CANCER. I HOPE YOU GUYS WILL COME BACK NEXT YEAR AND PLEASE DON'T FEEL PRESSURED TO RAISE MORE MONEY. WE WANT YOU TO HAVE FUN AND ENJOY IT. THANKS SO MUCH FOR JOINING US IN THE FIGHT. WE CAN AND DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

    ReplyDelete