Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Summer Goal

Look at this hair!! Isn't it great?? And I have color again on my skin...its not pasty white anymore! This summer is just so different from last year. I am soaking in the sun like its never coming out again because I've been out of it for two years...so I love laying out by my pool and I LOVE hot weather again. I am just made to live in the south, however I would really miss the Ohio seasons. I love the change too much to leave it yet, now Andrew on the other hand... :)
I have kept myself really busy this summer, not with chemo treatments, shots, surgeries, and sleeping, but with dinner with my sis's, lunches with friends, boating at the lake, weddings, birthday party's, celebrating our 2nd Anniversary, and much more! Andrew and I like to eat so last year for our anniversary, we did some fine dining in Cleveland, and this year we went to Ft.Wayne and ate some yummy calamari, duck, and creme brulee at a restaurant called Club Soda. I love getting dressed up and eating at a fancy restaurant. Its a big deal to us since fine dining in Lima is Red Lobster, go ahead and laugh.:) It made me wish we had restaurants like these in Lima, however what would we have to look forward too right? But the best thing about summer so far...we bought a new bike! Hey, it's all about Living right? Well, we have finally retired the old Shadow after 5 years and are ready to introduce this little Black Beauty to you! I LOVE our summer rides and give thanks to God for the many joys we are able to have in our lives! :):):)
Happy 2 years AJ! Thanks for never leaving when it gets harder than imaginable :)

Our new motorcycle!

I'd like to just take a minute and give some props to my chiropractor Dr. Thomas Jicha. He has a clinic here in Lima on Market street called Jicha Chiropractic and anyone who is in pain and needs a chiropractor who is knowledgeable to take the time to really listen and figure you out, he is your man. He has such a heart to help people and is so knowledgeable about the body and how it connects and can cause you pain. He helped figure out my Chiari problem six years ago, and was the very first person I went to for guidance in my nerve pain. I didn't even think twice about who to go to when my neurologist suggested the massage and electro therapy with a chiropractor. He even figured out why my two fingers go numb, its because of Thoracic Output Syndrome. I had no idea about this, but he was able to put it all together. So if any of you out there in Lima are in need of help, call his office and schedule an appointment. After my husband got hurt at work on a Saturday, he even went in on a Sunday to help him out. He is a wonderful chiropractor and a great example of what a christian man should be. Thank you Tom and Lindsay for all of your help over the last few years, and especially now as we try to figure me out once again. :)
So here is the latest on my health, the Lyrica isn't giving the kind of relief I would like, but the pain is nowhere near debilitating so I count my blessings everyday on that one. One side effect from the Lyrica is swelling, so I hope that goes down as I feel like I'm a whale right now (maybe that's due to my sugar high this summer too ;) And the chiropractic stuff feels great the day of my appointments, I feel normal...like I am finally put together right. But the next day I'm back to square one. :( I don't want to give up, it has only been a week. So I'm going to give it more time to work and adjust. The verse 'Let not my will, but Yours be done' is really starting to sink in. You know, pain can get you to draw closer to the Lord, maybe He's just waiting for me to draw closer. Alright God, I'm listening and I'm about ready to give the reigns on this situation back to you again.

So around our fire one night, I came to a conclusion about something in my life. My life isn’t perfect and I can’t make it perfect no matter how hard I try. I can get disappointed when things don't go as perfectly planned in my head (something that can drive my husband nuts!) Now, there needs to be some form of planning and expectations, however I’m going to try everyday to not let those ‘perfect life’ expectations take away from the joys I have in my life anymore. Because some of the funnest times I have are those when I didn’t have expectations...I just went with the flow. You’d be amazed at the surprises you get, the happiness you can feel, when you do something sporadic and just LET IT GO and live out those moments I would have missed if I went with my 'perfectly planned' plan! :) That is truly my summer goal this year, to really enjoy more unplanned moments in my Life because it goes by way, way, way too quick! So even though I have some great summer things planned, I'm also going to go with the flow and enjoy the sporadic memories that will be made as well!

Cooper went to the vet today and is in perfect health! His chewing is really starting to settle down compared to last year and he is really a joy to me! My bestie Alaina gets to share in my joy as she so graciously is watching him for a few days while we go on vacation...pray for her ;)
Cooper last summer with his puppy cousins...



And Cooper this year...he has grown quite a bit!

3 comments:

  1. Laura,Sounds like you have a full summer.What a great new cycle!! Saying some prayers for you with your spine issues. I hope the treatments help your pain. Have a great rest of the summer. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,Sounds like you have a full summer. What a great new cycle!! Saying some prayers for you with your spine issues. I hope the treatments help your pain. Have a great rest of the summer. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,
    Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you and happy you are doing well. I started following your blog after someone told me about you... a contact of Jessica Paxton. I completed Chemo in December and have had quite a year as well. I was diagnosed with colon cancer in April 2010 and I'm only 31. I told my sister about you and long story short you came up again a few weeks ago in one of our conversations. My sister is Dr. Melissa Metz... she is a Vet at Metz Petz of Shawnee. She noticed your port scar and asked you about it b/c it looks like mine. It's interesting how paths cross, and I want to thank you for your inspiring blog... it helped me shed some needed tears and also smile. You are often in my thoughts and I wish much love, health, and happiness.
    Take care,
    Alisha Frost

    ReplyDelete