Monday, June 6, 2011

The Gift that keeps on Giving!

I've been given some pretty neat gifts since having cancer...but this one is extra special...

Last Friday was one of the neatest days of my life. You know those moments when a soldier comes home to surprise their family and the family member is completely caught off guard and starts sobbing? Well, I kinda had one of those moments. My mother is retiring after 37 years of teaching (towards the end she became a building coach). Her school did a few neat things, but this one topped them all. The principle (one of my mom's good friends) called a staff meeting at 8 AM. They talked about a few things and then Amanda, who was wearing her pink cancer Survivor shirt, took the floor. My mom was caught off guard as she started talking about my mom and the ideas that had been floating around for what to do for her since she is retiring. They then thought about the hard year my mom has had with me and my cancer. She let everyone know first hand that when you get cancer, it almost effects the people's family more than it effects the cancer victim themself (and I would agree!).

So at this point, my mom is teary eyed and gets up and gives her a hug. She sits back down and Amanda explains that South Middle School chose this option instead of a physical gift. She then said that the staff at South chose to donate money and give my mom a check for a donation to Relay for Life in honor of me! My mom had tears at this point, but then it got better... Amanda said that there was a special visitor to help receive the check too. That's when I walked into the room and my mom saw me, put her head in her hands, and started sobbing like she hadn't seen me in years! I went straight to her and hugged her, and I have never had a hug so tight from my mom, ever! She was completely overwhelmed with emotion...in Oprah terms - she had the ugly cry :) The whole place was teary eyed, as well as me, as we all saw my mothers pure emotions take over for her gratefulness to her staff and for them being so willing to help find a cure for cancer so that her baby girl can have a long life. As my mom caught her breath she just couldn't thank them enough for choosing this because this is a gift that keeps giving and is helping so many others as well as her own family member have a long life!

I'm so thankful to the South staff for doing exactly what my mom would have wanted. She is always helping others, and she said this was a perfect retirement gift...and me being there was icing on the cake! Thank you for thinking of this and including me in this surprise! It was a very special moment for my moma and I. My mother is the glue to our family, and she has held it together this whole year. But I'm glad I could surprise her, and catch her sincere emotion...she said it was about time she had a good cry over my cancer. :) That was definitely on my TOP 5 of neatest things to ever witness. My mom is amazing. She does not have a bad bone in her body and if I can be anything like her, I know my life will mean something because she has touched so many people's lives. And not only her, but my dad too. Both of their schools have graciously donated to my cause. And I believe that tells something of their character. They are good, hard working people. The best people to know and love. Anyone who knows them is privileged, and I'm just simply blessed to have them as MY parents. I love you dad, and moma - I would go through cancer all over again to another hug like I had Friday. I love you and YOU are special to so many...I hope you saw that on Friday for sure!

Thank you Apollo Career Center and South Middle School for your gracious support in finding the cure for cancer!!

-My mom totally surprised to see me! She said me being there, especially for this gift was just so special. Thanks Sue for helping set that up!

-Amanda giving my mom the check...thank you South staff for this gift to not only my moma but the countless others you are helping too! - My mom trying to thank people through her tears :)


Love you moma and proud of your 37 years of service to the Lima community. You are an example to so many. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment