Friday, December 24, 2010

It truly is A Wonderful Life


I just watched It’s a Wonderful Life for like the 10th time in my life this holiday season. Don’t you want live back in the 1940’s just to see what it was like without any of this instant technology?? I really love the movie and I love George Bailey and Clearance the angel. I like George because he’s just like us…looking for a break in life while everything about us still needs improvement…our faith, relationships, work, marriage, duties around the house, health. But like George, I have friends who I know would come through for me the moment I was in a sticky situation and needed them. The ending reminds me to be grateful for the life that I have, regardless of my situation…because I have friends.

Did you know that Frank Capra filmed an alternate ending to It’s a Wonderful Life? The other ending had Uncle Billy remembering that he misplaced the money in the newspaper when he unties a string, and then Mr. Potter receives a "comeuppance” or a punishment. But Capra did the right ending. It leaves you with the importance of friendship and helping each other out when times get rough instead of focusing on punishment and ‘getting what they deserve’. They ended the movie with the note that read ‘No one is a failure who has friends.’ It holds true then and still now that there is more value in friendship than in money. Because George had friends, they came through for him just when he needed them most...in debt and about go to jail. I hold my friends dear to me, and by friends I mean family too...they are the best friends you will ever have. I am so glad that they have not fled during my diagnosis, but have been there to listen to me and encourage me. They accept me for who I am, the life that I have. But most importantly, they are there for me at my weakest points, when I feel like I can’t screw up any worse, and when there is a problem I just don't know how to solve. We are all a work in progress and have bad times in life, but don’t try to end your life like George because you can’t see the end of the tunnel during a bad situation. Be brave and talk your problems out with your friends to gain new insight and perspective. A true friend will not judge you, but help guide you. I’ve learned the most valuable lessons when I’ve asked for help and opened myself up for help when I needed it. But most importantly, be like the people of Bedford Falls, encourage each other, support each other, and let each other know that we are doing a good job in this hard life we live in. We may not have the opportunity like George to look back and see how much of an influence we were in this world, but just remember to treat people with kindness and love, and you will always have friends.

Then...
And Now...Last night I got to have supper with some of my oldest and bestest friends...some since the 2nd grade and they are still the best :) Thank you my dear friends both old and new for not judging me when I’m at my worst, for giving me memorires to cherish, and for letting me encourage you when you need it too. I know we don't get to see eachother often, but knowing that you are a phone call away and always there for me truly helps guide me along this life so that I don’t feel like a failure…and it’s because I have you, my friends.

And to my best friend, my husband Andrew...Thank you for constantly loving me at my best and worst moments and for never giving up on our marriage throughout all the crises we have endured. You are truly the best friend I have ever had and will be until the day I die. You've made my dream 'movie life' come true...you've given me A Wonderful Life.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE It's a Wonderful Life!!!! I didn't get to see it this year because we were at my aunt's and then went to church. I loved what you had to say about it!!!

    Still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete