Monday, December 27, 2010

Merry Christmas! Only 363 days left until Christmas :)

Merry Christmas from 1983!

I have had an absolute BLAST this holiday season! After a work Christmas party and a scarf gift exchange, I was determined to find a scarf that was exchanged that I just loved! Because I’m crazy, I found it at the store…and I'm in love with it! Then on Christmas eve, Andrew had to work and I had my extended family Christmas at my aunts house with all of my dad’s side of the family. Pretty neat still to see all the great-grand kids open up presents and not us anymore. Christmas parties have the BEST foods so I am so glad my throat hasn’t started hurting yet from the radiation and I can still swallow. I’m eating like a hog this season and praising God that I didn't have chemo to make me sick during the holidays!!
Then I had Christmas morning at my house with just me and my hubby. My monkey bread turned out AWESOME this year…truly a Christmas miracle!! And then my parents house was just AWESOME too. I love getting together with my family…especially when we take it back to 1983! Since Andrew has a moustache, we decided to surprise my parent and do a tribute to his moustache by having all the guys have moustaches…then that led to the holiday sweaters…then we all just went crazy and went all out! We totally went to my parents house looking as if we stepped out of Christmas movie from the ‘80’s! Totally fun as Julie looked like the mom from the Dugger family, and Billy looked like a used Volvo salesmen with his hair slicked back. Scott was decked out in a black dickie and white sweater dressed as Uncle Eddie from Christmas Vacation , Sarah had the poofy hair and lipstick, Andrew had his I LOVE CHRISTMAS...AND LAURA sweater I made him as a joke from 2007 on...and the moustache that started it all, Mike wore HIS sweater from when it was cool back in the '80's ;)...and I wore the leg warmers, leggings, pearls, and headband. What a laugh til you cry moment…and made a great memory! We were just glad none of us got pulled over or in an accident. Could you imagine this crowd's mug shot?!?! Oh and thanks momma for the sweaters :) We snuck into her closet and got them out!! We love ya mom!

Meet Marlene and Marve for the evening...

My sisters Sarah and Julie and my brother Scotty

We just kept saying...'These were the guys we COULD have married!' So glad we have the normal Mike, Andrew, and Billy :)

Smile Big Sisters! We are ALWAYS happy at Christmas time!

Dad was prepared with some holiday trivia…and we walked away with even more laughs! We learned that Scott can’t pick a number between 1 and 1,000 (3,364 was his serious pick...so much for paying attention!), and that there is no W in the word value Andrew (and it's still not in the word Thanksgiving either!) We also learned that Billy still knows more about technology than anyone, and yes Sarah there are 4 Oceans…and one really is named Indian. I’m serious, my family laughs until it hurts our face, stomachs…and my chest. :) Oh…and we all had to sing We Wish You a Merry Christmas in a different language for our lotto tickets this year. Dad had the words and we were trying to sing and pronounce them…lets just be glad we do not speak in Cherokee right Andrew?! Poor guy had to try and sing this: We wish you a Danistayohihv & Aliheli'sdi Itse Udetiyvasadisv... TOO funny!

We did our gift giving and had the auction again this year (where we pick a number and get the gift assigned to that number). Scott, my brother, once again made out with laundry detergent, dial soap, and a snowman seat cover...just what he needs when he still lives at home with mom and dad :) Andrew and I really did good because combined we got three gift cards to Beer Barrel, the movies, and Keystone meats. Date night here we come!
Most of all, we shared laughs and love, and that’s what family is all about. We are all so different, yet too much the same. We married good guys who fit in just right with this crazy Hochstetler family and agree to play our funny games and participate in crazy holiday costumes. I have parents who go over and beyond every year to make us happy and have a memorable day. I’m not sure how we are going to top it next year…but we will :) Maybe me just being there, being healthy, and cancer free will be the best topper of next year! You have no idea how many times I thought about how lucky I am to have family, and have my life back so that I can have many more Christmas's to come. Thank you cancer treatments. :' ) Yes, that made me tear up again!

Sarah took an intermission from Christmas to promote Breast Cancer Awareness :) She is too funny! Laughing is what has got us this far in my Pursuit with cancer.

Me and my beautiful momma! And my North Face sweater...thanks Santa Andrew :)

The Funny face picture of my nieces and nephews!

What an exhausting day :) We found Keaton like this in a chair around 9:30.

Then we had Andrew's family Christmas tonight and that was also filled with laughs and yummy dinners. I got an awesome Bible from Andrew's parents that goes through the whole Bible in 365 days AND in chronological order from when the events actually occurred! It also has historical dates and an overview of Israel's history. Just what I was looking for this year! And Andrew's dad got this movie...and I just had to get a picture with the moustaches!

And this lady gets the award for best sister in law ever! Period. I love ya Bethy! And you probably already noticed, but my eyebrows are in, my lashes are in, I have color in my face again, and my hair is growing back pretty good. It brings me to tears sometimes when I look in the mirror and realized how I took those tiny hairs for granted just six months ago. Christmas has come and gone and while laughing in the process, I have learned about both the fun in giving and receiving of gifts and I received the best gift ever this year, understanding God's love for us like never before. :)


2 comments:

  1. Love the pics! You have such an AWESOME family. Love and Prayers! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,Love your Christmas pics. Glad you had a great time. Have a wonderful 2011. Good Luck with the rest of your radiation. Patsy

    ReplyDelete