Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Road to Radiation...Finally on the Road, with some good reading material from Dad :)

My first two radiation treatments at St. Rita's Regional Cancer Center were a piece of cake! I’m in and out in no time. I don’t feel a thing while I’m receiving it, and you don’t see any kind of rays or light to scare you off! All you hear is a buzzing sound for a little bit and then you are donezo! I can definitely handle this! I don’t have any side effects yet, the only thing is that I feel some ‘commotion’ going on in my chest. It's the best way I can describe it, its not painful at all, just a weird, still kinda tight, ‘fluttering’ feeling. Honestly, I can’t describe it at all, because its nothing I ever felt before, but it doesn't hurt...lets just say its working and if this is all I feel, HOORAY!!!!
So this is what the radiation machine looks like, it's not me, but its a picture I found. I lay just like this with my hands above my head and I get to keep all my clothes on from the waist down and keep my hospital gown on until its time for the radiation. I then take it off and lay on this board, put my head in the head/shoulder mold we made and my arms go above my head. Then, they push and pull me around to line me up just right with the tattoos and then say some number/letter combination that I don't understand...then its time for the main event. They step out of the room, and I'm there to sing with the radio all by myself. :) The circle thing is what makes the noise, it shoots the beam through my chest, and then it does a 180 so the circle thing is on the bottom, and then hits my back and gets the tumors from the backside too. Its actually a really cool and quick process. In and out and to work in 30 minutes! I have 18 more sessions to go and that takes me to the middle of January. I am SO glad this process may treat me better than the first cancer treatment...it has to be, I got my first radiation treatment and then the same night, the Sing Off sang 'Fix You' to me!! My cancer song from the dance on my blog from a few months back!! I love when things happen like that :)

Oh, and I made a full circle too when I had to go back to Cancer Care where I got my chemo treatments yesterday after radiation (I have called it Cancer Center in my past...but I pulled in yesterday and looked at the sign, then realized it was called Cancer Care...can you say chemo brain?!?!) I have to get my port flushed once a month so that my vein doesn't get clogged. I was so happy to see my chemo nurses, just as funny and awesome as ever. I can't believe it was a month and a half ago since I have been there to get a chemo treatment. Seemed like yesterday when I was spending my time there, the routine came right back to me...Take my vitals, deep breath for the poke, done! Port flushes are much better that chemo drugs I must add!

On a side note, my dad has a way with words and this story he wrote touched my heart and I wanted to share it with you…he’s pretty good at summing things up from the past 6 months...let me tell you, many people had cancer during my diagnosis...I just carried the cancer cells. My dad is one of those people who was there every step of the way with me...

An Unanticipated Holiday Season Reflection

Six months before Christmas, unwanted news was given to me
My “Me Lorla” was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma you see
Since that time, many lives have been turned upside down
But from the beginning Laura said ‘please don’t wear a frown’.

I needed information, to know what this war was about
And I soon learned, Laura’s life would be turned inside out
Big changes were coming, for her body and her mind
And as we soon learned, these changes were not kind.

She said from the start, “My God, My Family and My Friends will stand with me”
But in times like this, we heard it was easy for people to flee
Only God truly knew, what the future would hold
The challenge for us, was to remain faithful and bold.

Laura’s foundation that was to get her through was pretty clear
It was truly based on her simple Faith, and “Never Give In” to fear
And although this ordeal, of being ever optimistic can be quite a task
She had to - because this new enemy was always coming at her, wearing a different mask.

She said that the nurses, “Are always a blessing to people like me”
For they would always put things in perspective, for people like us to see
One area was “The treatment they said that would be used to help us”
And another was “Painful side-effects, but still the treatment would be a medical plus.”

She always reminds us, that her personal Faith is growing stronger throughout this ordeal
Even though every day, she is reminded this enemy definitely is for real
It has been real for her mind, her body, and also her soul
But her foundation remains strong, and will not let the enemy take its’ toll.

Laura’s family and friends remain faithful to her and are so proud
That she has inspired us to remain strong, and keep finding ways to take away the cloud
We constantly try new and fun ways to be there for her each day
Even though all she asks, is to think about her and pray.

They say the way for people to grow stronger when times like these get tough
Is to remain focused when these times start getting rough
Focused on what is good, what is right, and what is the optimistic thought
For those we are reminded, are all that remain after a good battle has been fought.

She blesses us so often with her blog so we can constantly learn
How the ever constant new enemy is being dealt with, through each and every turn
Her every blog becomes inspirational and keeps us up-to-date
And in her own inspired words, helps us to grow and to relate.

Relate to the good, the bad, and the ugly we learned she was to share
And as a result, she constantly teaches us in many ways to more deeply care
To care about our loved ones through the good times and the bad
Because when all is said and done, they are the best friends we ever had.

So Me Lorla - this reflection is somewhat a summary of the past
And now we are on to Round 2 of treatment and hope it goes fast
With chemo and radiation, being two words we have all learned too well
Your reflection about this, has been quite the inspirational story to tell.

It still saddens my heart that a child of mine has had to endure this all
Because it was my prayer, should this ever occur, it was upon my life this should fall
But our life takes many turns, that we could never have known
And ultimately it is through God’s plans, we finally realize the ways in which we have grown.

In Summary but Not to Verse:
Thank you Laura for sharing, for giving, for loving, for enduring,
and for the Faith that gave you your attitude of “Never Give In” throughout this ordeal.
Thank you Laura for taking this temporary misfortune of yours and making it
into a spiritual, mental, moral and emotional fortune for you and us!
Love Ya Me Lorla,
Dad



2 comments:

  1. "Thank you Laura for taking this temporary misfortune of yours and making it into a spiritual, mental, moral and emotional fortune for you and us!"
    Yes, and thank you, Dave, for putting it into words for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again Laura, that dad of your has made my eyes well up with tears. He did such a nice job of summarizing the events of the past year for you. I have told both of you that your writing is truly inspirational. It sometimes really makes me stop to think about all of the blessings in my life. I only hope that I can continue to grow in my faith and to be as strong as you are in yours. It sounds like your Christmas was super fun with your family. Here's to a Happy New Year for you!!!

    ReplyDelete