Monday, February 21, 2011

It’s all about timing…

So life is all about timing. I apologize, this blog was supposed to be put up last night, but Life happened and I didn’t get it out in time :) If you don’t have the right timing, things go wrong. The surprise isn’t a surprise anymore, the fireworks don’t go off at the right time, the jets don’t fly over the game at the right time…and I don’t go to the Kalahari at the right time! Talk about timing, maybe going to the Kalahari on a holiday weekend was great timing for me to see that maybe I CAN wait to have kids! ;) There were TONS of kids, long lines, expensive food, tired parents, and loud kids running in the halls at 7:30 in the morning. However, time spent with family is never something I take for granted anymore...especially since my brother moved for his job until the middle of the summer…miss you already buddy!
Timing was perfect on Friday when my coworkers surprised me with a congratulations party during lunch! You can never go wrong with Fat Jacks pizza and yummy desserts...as well as new flower bulbs to plant in my garden! And I also got flowers delivered to my work from my church! What a generous church Shawnee Alliance is. The timing of finding that church had to be the workings of God. Who knew five months after we found a great church to settle down in, I would be diagnosed with cancer and need that growing faith more than chemo or radiation. And to be apart of small group during my treatments would be icing on the cake. Just another example of perfect timing.

Now this is an example of bad timing…my radiation oncologist. When I went there on Friday, everything from the Lymphoma stand point is awesome! No new lymph nodes swollen, my swallowing is back to normal (as if I didn’t know that based on the 5 pounds I put on last month!), and everything is looking good. But right before I left, she told me to be a ‘good girl’ and make sure I get my mammogram every year and then let me know my chances of getting breast cancer. Because I had radiation before I was 30 years old, my risk for breast cancer increases 7-9 fold. I didn’t understand what that meant so she said I was 7 to 9 times more likely to get breast cancer than before I had radiation. So if it is in my genes, say like my genetic makeup says I have a 10% chance of getting breast cancer, I have to times that by 7-9 now and those are my new chances (70-90% of getting breast cancer). Well, the good news is that there is no history of breast cancer to my knowledge in our family. Or like my sister said, if we are at 0%...times that by 7-9 and you still get 0%!!! Then to top it all off, right before I left, she said one last thing. She said that she didn’t want to worry me but wanted to be honest with me. That if I do get breast cancer, it will be the negative hormone receptors that they will find…and those are the hardest ones to cure. So as my mouth dropped because of her bad timing (remind you I was still on my high from being 'disease free'), she said not to worry now, just keep up on my mammograms so that we can catch it early. Wow, makes me glad we are apart of Relay for Life to find a cure...I may need it again! To donate online, go to http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=team&fr_id=31613&team_id=886914 or wait til May for the Hocking Hills raffle! :) But you know what, I could die tomorrow from just about anything, so I’m not going to get too hung up about the 'possible' future.

I see that timing can be everything. But do we really have control over time? I know one thing about time…we are not going back, we are only moving forward. I’m not going to let my life be revolved around a cancer that I may never have, or one that I may never get again. I will do my best to live a life in remission, but I can’t live in fear that the timing won’t be right for the events that will happen in my life. It’s no way of living. But there is only one timing I want to be ready for. It’s for when Jesus calls me home, on His timing, and I just better be ready.
There is one thing I am sure of…I am going to die one day. So what I need to be most concerned about above any physical or emotional health, is my spiritual health. Keeping that fed and healthy so that when I do meet Jesus, I am ready to account for my time spent on earth. You see, I’m not afraid to die anymore, not from cancer or anything, because by believing in God's son Jesus, and how He took our sins with Him to the cross, He bridged the gap for us to be with God in Heaven for eternity. It says in John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. I know I am going to Heaven because a long time ago I did what it said in Romans 10:9-13…I called on His name and confessed with my mouth that Jesus is Lord and believed in my heart that God raised him from the dead, and by doing so, I was saved! Cancer was scary at times, but what made it a heck of a lot easier was my faith. You guys, I'm not a pastor or anything, but from what I've learned is that the cool thing about God, is that He knows that we are going to have bad days, mess up, and sin…that’s why He made a way for us to be saved…He’s clever like that :) But we do not need to be held by those sins and let those run or destroy our lives. In Romans 6:14 it says that For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law-but under grace. If you are looking for freedom, for answers, for love, for peace in your life, all you have to do is acknowledge God, confess those sins, and He will always forgive you and cleanse you and let you start again…and give a home for you in Heaven with me :) Wow, how lucky are we that in this world of greed, this gift is free. That life everlasting is a free gift from God, we just need to pray and accept it. My life through this Pursuit as been changed because when I was faced with the possibility of death, I wanted to know Him more, and what I found was the living God who wants a relationship with me by reading His words of advice He gives to us in the Bible. You guys, our time is coming.…I know I am ready. Are you?

Dear God,
I know that there was a time when I did not live my life for You. I made up my own rules and lived to satisfy myself. I am so glad that you are now apart of my life. I thank you that you gave your son to die for me, and that now I receive the forgiveness that came free to me. I invite you to always be in my life, Lord, not just in the bad times when I need you most. May you continue to be my Lord and Savior all the days of my life. Thank you again for taking away our imperfections, and accepting us, because we accepted you.

Amen

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our
Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment