Sunday, September 19, 2010

It's My Night!

Lima Fire Department Banquet!!

I've been a little down lately, simply because my 'fun' plans have not worked out like I'd hoped. I really wanted to do the Hocking Hills trip planned, but chemo and being sick stopped me there. And I wasn't able to make it to the Labor Day picnic like planned either. Then, when this past week with the rash, the lump found, chemo, and now not going back to work came around, I was starting to get worried that my next 'fun' thing planned was going to get cancelled too, just like the rest. Since I found out about the Lima Fire Dept Banquet in July, I have had my heart set on going. Not only would I get to see my man all dressed up, but I would also get to see the fun group of girls that the firemen are all married too :) When Saturday came around, I was bound and determined that nothing was going to stop me. And I didn't let it either! I was tired and sore, but I didn't care. After everything I have been through lately, I felt like I deserved this night. And I am so glad I went. I was able to get all dressed up, become LuLu, and really have a great time! Even though I spent most of my time sitting and watching all the fun take place, I was just really happy to be there. In those moments, I felt like I had a normal life again. I didn't think about my treatments, or my upcoming ultrasound. I didn't think about my lesson plans, or when I was suppose to take my next pill. For one night, I felt like me, the old Laura. I felt pretty, happy, content. I think I was on adrenaline the whole night! And vicodine :) But I made it there and my body cooperated enough to allow me to smile...and have one slow dance with my husband. :)


I was so lucky to find the dress I did for this event too. Can you beat a $14.00 dress at Macy's?! It fit so well and covered my port just awesome! However, I wasn't sure on jewelry for this dress, until something came in the mail. A couple days before the banquet, I received a package in the mail from an unknown sender. My mind was completely boggled as I opened up the package to see a black velvet case with a silver bracelet inside. I was so confused though because I couldn't figure out who sent this beautiful beaded bracelet with a pearl, cross, and heart pendent. Then I saw the inscription on the heart, Warrior Chick. :) When I saw this, I knew right away. There are people out there who just 'know'. And if you are able to meet one of these people, you are truly a lucky person. I'm one of those lucky people. These are people who are not looking for praise, just showing how much they care. They are truly appreciated by me because they are not only my friends on earth and brother/sister in my Heavenly Family, but they are prayer warriors for me during this time. When I saw this bracelet, I thought about the words, Warrior Chick, and how right now I really look like one underneath all the hair and makeup. I'm still a fighter, even on my down days. And I'm still a chick, even with drawn on eyebrows, a wig, and about 12 eye lashes accounted for :) By the way, Mary Kay Ultimate Lash Mascara is amazing...it took my 12 eye lashes left to new heights!! But not only do I look like a Warrior Chick with my hair all gone, better yet, I FEEL like one! Inside, I really do feel like I already have this cancer word conquered. My battle at this point, is the actual Laura that is inside there. I'm starting to find out who she really is. There is a fight going on inside me that is even bigger than cancer. It's how to live this Life the way it was truly meant to be lived. Oh my you guys, there are thoughts in my head that both scare me and excite me...and I am so glad that I have the time now to sit and reflect on them. Even though these eyes are tired, my mind is still awake and running like wild!

So here's to working towards being a true Warrior Chick...inside and out!

8 comments:

  1. Laura, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL and you and Andrew are a PERFECT couple!!!! Love and Prayers, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when I said it is all about those beautiful eyes and not the hair anymore? Look at that picture of those eyes!! That is your gorgeous feature. But I must say, Lulu, that is some awesome hair you are sporting with your man! I am sure God created a beautiful temple that He is restoring even now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful Laura!!!!! You are awesome!
    It is super you got to attend the banquet with Andrew. Spending time with your hubby and friends was a great way to keep your mind off of all of the other things that were bringing you down. We have all been praying every single day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura Loo! STUNNING pictures:) I love LuLu but i'm IN love with LAURA! Take Care and thanks again for Haydens gift its in her room and I smile everytime i walk past it! The Williams Love You Laura Loo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, You are a warrior chick! You and Andrew will beat this.
    Love Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! Life is all about finding the real you. People search their whole life and never find it. You've found it at this young age because of cancer. The rest of your life should be a breeze! I think its amazing how your true beauty just shines right on through and I can see it in these pictures. Keep fightin' the good fight and you'll get through this. You're almost there!!
    Love and hugs,
    -M

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura,The pic of you and your hubby all dressed up is beautiful. I also love the shot of your beautiful bald head. We oncology nurses have a soft spot for pretty bald heads and yours is exceptional!! You give true meaning to the phrase "bald is beautiful" You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look stunning as usual :)

    Love you!

    ~Tara

    ReplyDelete