Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Dad

My Dad. His name is Dave Hochstetler. He is my dad through and through. We act the same, think the same, eat the same, pay the bills the same... Oh boy. :)
If you know my dad, you may know him in different ways. A son, a brother, a coworker, a friend, a fellow soldier, a coach, the list goes on and on... But to me, he's my dad. My dad and my number one fan by a mile. He is knowledgeable, compassionate, wise, and most of all caring. He would do anything for his kids (sometimes I think he is part of the FBI or CIA or something because of his connections ;) Yes, that man Dave cares more about people, especially his family, than he lets on. He would never brag, so I'm doing it for him. He has more love for his children than I could ever understand. My dad came to my rescue with cancer as soon as he found out. With hours on the Internet, wristbands for all who knew, books, fruit bowls, gifts...that's how he shows his love the best...he's a giver for sure :) But I have come to know my dad in a new way through cancer. He's not only my dad, but right now he has taken on a whole new role. He is my Cancer Coach. When I was a quarter of the way done with treatment, he gave me a 1st quarter pep talk. Then at half way, he gave me his half time speech. As much as he would say that God is my coach through all of this, he is a great Assistant Coach then. I asked my dad if I could share his speeches with everyone..he said yes and I was so glad. Cancer gave me the opportunity to have these letters of encouragement and advice from my dad for the rest of my life, that I might not have gotten before. I will cherish them as I will read them again when I have children of my own and they are going through battles. These speeches have inspired me to want to write to my own children when they are growing up, so that they have advice on paper to always look back on. It changed our relationship, I understand him better now. To any daddy's out there, write a letter to your daughter...they will keep it and cherish it forever! :) Ok, here are the speeches, be prepared to be inspired by a father's love for his currently broken baby girl....

1st Quarter Speech...8/04/10
Hello Laura,
It’s your dad here. Bet you are surprised to see a comment from me since I always receive these on my Blackberry and this is the first time I looked at your blog on a full sized monitor. Wow, I did not know there was a friends section on the right side even. I recognized one coworker, but if everyone at work and those who are friends with mom and me tells us they keep up on your blog and look forward to reading it posted their name of the followers section you would have entries all the way to the bottom.
There is a recurring theme in their comments Laura and the consistency of them makes it true in my opinion. Comments like: What an amazing girl, how she faces everything with courage and realism, what a wonderful husband, for only being married a year this is a special couple, her spirituality is so strong it gives us encouragement, what an outlook on life, and how the blog ministers to different people in different ways because it is so inspirational, and they do not know what to say as a comment because they are left in complete awe and amazement.
I have told people that this is the real Laura and she not only has a totally supportive husband but also an extended family that is walking this journey with her in many different ways. I told mom and you the other night Laura that it has been difficult for me in ways not to be at my little girls side through all this but I have been totally comforted in knowing that Andrew “has your back” in my place and I am at peace because of the total trust and respect I have always had for him.
I was glad to see one time you make a comment about what my dad told us and I have told you kids in that, “Things are never so bad they couldn’t be worse, or, so good they couldn’t be better.” Your testimony to this in your blog comes through constantly. That in ways is the partial meaning to the inscription on the wristbands – “NEVER GIVE IN” (interpreted: do not let your Faith waver regardless of the circumstance).
I also chuckle about the humor you share with us. Lately, I liked that you made mention of the special family gifts we had at Christmas time with our family motto with the centerpiece saying – “Nothing Ever The Easy Way.” Boy, how our family could attest to that in ways but here we are stronger for it then and getting stronger by walking with you on your journey now.
Some of my proudest moments when you girls were little were when mom, your two sisters, and you would be the “special music” in our worship service at First Church of God. It seems like it was just yesterday and I can still see all of you around the podium with you standing on a stool to see over it. Right now I can picture that and honestly I can hear you all singing one of my favorite songs back then. It was during a certain part of the song Laura that you were just singing away (but in a joyous/heartfelt way for being on 5 or 6) and I can hear your words over the others – honestly. This special part had the words that went something like, “Through the years he’s blessed me, through the years he’s kept me, through the good times and the bad, he’s been the best friend that I have ever had.” Well, here we are some 20 years later, and your life and your blog is a living testimony to those words you sang back then.
It is easy to explain the love and respect I have for you in general and how proud I have always been of you. In this special journey God has put you on, I simply have to say it is difficult to put into words the feelings of how a father would want this journey you are now on to happen to him and not his children, but if it did not work out that way, the father would hope and pray that the son or daughter would be handling this exactly in the same way you are now.
You are through the 1st quarter of a basketball or football game with your treatment and I thought it was time for the coach to give a timeout talk between quarters. In sports, I simply would have said you guys are playing like you practiced and that is why we are winning. Laura, all of life’s event lets you practice for these kinds of journeys and because of the life you have lived you were ready for this journey and you are winning. With the Head Coach you have in your life, supporting team members like your husband, your immediate and extended families, God’s health care workers who are with you, and the multitudes of very good friends you have (okay, almost forgot Kota and Cooper) you will win if you keep to your game plan and “Never Give In” to anything and keep the Faith. To simply put it another way - stay focused with “The Pursuit.”

Catch Ya at Half-time “Me Lorla”
Love, Dad

Then my dad's Half Time speech...9/04/10

Okay Me Lorla, it seems pretty clear during the OSU-Marshall game what Coach Tressel was probably saying in the locker room at half-time:

1. There is no way you will lose this game if you play the 2nd half the way you played the 1st half.
2. You played the 1st half by listening to me and my assistants, preparing mentally/physically/emotionally for the game, and believing in yourself.
3. When things did not go exactly as planned here and there we sucked it up and persevered - we never gave in!
4. Yes, there was a lot of physical pain and exhaustion due to the weather which was out of our control, but you listened to the doctors and trainers and it did not get worse for you.
5. Now, this upcoming 2nd half may be more tiring for you and the other side is going to make an attempted come back against you because of your fine performance the 1st half against them. You may want to let down a little because you believe you can't lose. Well, do not let up and stay in the game mentally, physically, and emotionally. Talk to us if you're hurting and we haven't noticed yet. Don't get upset if we are constantly reminding you to tell us what's going on out there and us asking you questions.
6. Okay now, join me in our customary prayer at half-time which keeps us focused on those things in life which are important and helps us to remember that we are doing our best because we are prepared and pre-prayered.
7. And lastly, recite with me our motto: “Success is the peace of mind which is the direct result in knowing that we have done our best to become the best that we are capable of becoming” and remembering that “When the One Great Scorer comes to make his mark against our name in life he marks not that we won or lost but how we played the game.”

Okay Laura, read what you want between the lines to draw some analogies for this being my half-time talk to you. Hope you see some of the themes: Stay focused and faithful through the good and the bad and you will win this - Remember when things are bad it is not the old Laura facing it with mind, spirit and body - it is the temporary Laura with drugs in her body/mind that are delivering knockout blows to a vicious opponent that makes her feel different. But everyone is still here for you Laura until the battle is over very soon and then get a much stronger Laura back in mind/body/spirit who has grown so much from this. Your unbelievable blog nourishes you, and sustains us, so keep at it as difficult as that is at times.

Your Coach - who you love to hate and hate to love, but who you know is your biggest fan.

That’s my dad…aren’t I lucky?
Love you Daddy.

One of my favorite pictures...my dad looking in at my mom and I on my wedding day.

All I can think of is that overly popular Butterfly Kisses song when I see this photo...
She'll change her name today.
She'll make a promise and I'll give her away.
Standing in the bride-room just staring at her.
She asked me what I'm thinking and I said "I'm not
sure-I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl."
She leaned over...gave me butterfly kisses with her mama there,
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair
"Walk my down the aisle, Daddy-it's just about time."
"Does my wedding gown look pretty, Daddy? Daddy, don't cry!"
Oh, with all that I've done wrong I must have
done something right.
To deserve your love every morning and butterfly kisses at night.

6 comments:

  1. Wow..............What an awesome dad you have there.... You and your family are truly blessed.... THE 1ST quarter speech was unbelievable...you are so lucky and they are so lucky to have you... I am so glad to be able to call you a friend .... Your blogs are such an inspiration,I wish more people could share in this blessing from your blogs that you write... You are so awesome........Always saying a special prayer for you.... Stay strong and faithful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I am hormonal right now!! I am bawling. Aren't Daddys the best? Their love and support never fails to carry us through! Love you girl! ALAINA :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we have an AWESOME dad!!! But just wanted to give a shout out to our momma as well. She keeps dad humble and never stops smiling. Love my family sooooo much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only word that I can say right now is beautiful! You have a very wonderful dad and you can see how much love you have for him and how much he has for you. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, that's the Dave... and the Laura I know. Love you both. May God hold you, and all of your family,in His healing hands, Amen.

    Can't wait for the victory speech! It will come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Laura-
    How awesome is that to have Dave as your dad. He cares about you and your family so much-more than anything else in the world!!!! As a co-worker he has been a mentor for me as a newer administrator. Even though we have agreed to disagree on some issues, we both have a great passion for youth and learning and we work together so well to do whatever is best for kids. These speeches from your dad are not at all a surpise for me-they are a true indicator of who he truly is!!!!! I am sending positive thoughts and prayers your way and hope that nothing keeps you from receiving your treatment tomorrow!!!! Hugs and I will check in again soon.

    ReplyDelete