Sunday, November 28, 2010

The 'Back to School' nerves...will I sleep tonight?!

Happy Holidays!
I can officially say that now that Thanksgiving is over! Yes, I am one of those people who really loves everything about the holidays…around my house, I’m Clark Griswold and Andrew is Ebenezer Scrooge - usually I put Christmas up with the Christmas music playing, and that seems to be his cue that he ‘forgot to get something at the store’ ;) I really love the whole holiday feel and even more when we talk about the real reason for the season. Sweet baby Jesus and the joy of giving! :)

Thanksgiving was another eventful time at the Hochstetler’s this year, but what I loved best was that Andrew, my sisters and their husbands, and I all sat in the living room and talked for a time period that was more than 3 minutes. That hasn’t happened in a very long time with kids and work schedules! They have no idea how awesome it felt to feel like a whole family again. What was weird though, was that we have now become my aunts and uncles sitting around at the holiday parties, and my parents and grandparents have become the grandparents and great-grandparents. They were all sitting in one room and we were all sitting in another room talking, while the ‘kids’ were in the basement…this means we’re getting older! And the cool thing is that it is still a great time…that is SO awesome! Here's a pic of the 'most awesome aunt' with her beautiful nieces!

My appointment to see the radiation oncologist is this Thursday. Dr. Powell has given my new radiation oncologist all of my information and I just got the paper work in the mail to fill out, so all we have to do is have a consult appointment and radiation gets started. I’m ready to see what that process entails! I’m thankful for many things, but this year I am specifically thankful that I have the strength to go through radiation and get this cancer GONE! I’m thankful that my body is healthy enough to receive the new treatments and that I do not have to be in a hospital anymore than I have to. I keep reminding myself that this time will pass for me too. It’s only another month. I really pray not only for complete healing, but that I am still useful during this time of radiation. That I will not only have the gift of my health back, but the gift of learning something new through the process of this new treatment.

So I have the back to school nerves in my stomach :) I just thought I would ask you all to say a quick prayer for me. I’m heading back to work tomorrow. I’m not sick like I was with the chemo, and radiation I hear will leave me fatigued, but I’m just up for the challenge right now and I pray for the physical strength to do my job. I've got a lot of people not too happy with me for going back before the start of the year, but I like what Winston Churchill said, 'Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it.' Awesome things happen when taking chances I've found out, and this won't be easy, but that's when awesome things can happen :) I promised I was going to take it easy (Dena won't let me work too hard anyways) and really I do not expect any major problems, just being tired after the day is done…but that’s already normal for a teacher so I’m getting myself even more back to normal. :) If anything happens, I will still listen to my body and if it says enough is enough during the radiation treatments, I will listen. I’m not going to make myself any sicker than I already am. I’m just so excited to teach the kids at my school again. I really love working with children with special needs and I love being apart of their lives. Teaching is hard though, and anyone who wants to challenge me can come visit for a day :) I wouldn’t change where I am right now though, because it is right where I belong. I’m challenged everyday, and although it’s tough, it’s the reason why I’m here on earth, using the talents that God gave me. Even though I question it...

See, I’m being challenged not only in my career and health, but in every aspect of my life now. I’m more conscious and aware I’ve noticed. And I’ve opened myself up more in the past few months to let God in to do the works He sees fit for me to do. Acting upon it can be a challenge at times because it’s not the ‘normal’ thing to do. And sometime I wonder if I’m still up for the challenge. It’s so easy to live a life without any kind of reflection and take the easy way out; however I see the deeper picture when I am more reflective and I get so much more out of life when I take the road less traveled. Sometimes I feel like there is so much deeper to go and understand, like I’ll never get to the bottom. The cool thing is that it's normal. Because we are never suppose to stop when it comes to God. We will always keep digging, getting deeper in our faith, asking more questions, and searching to really know God better. And the best place to do that I’ve realized is the Bible. That’s where the truth is because God is truth, and He spoke the words in the Bible (2 Timothy 3:16 'All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness), so that means the Bible is truth, and I’ll take anything that helps get through this life with a little more understanding.

Now that I have talked your ear off once again, I am signing off tonight…I need the rest for tomorrow :) Thank you again for your continued support and prayers for me. I know the newness of a disease like mine wears off after a couple months, but I’m still fighting it and the battle for true understanding of this Life. I appreciate your love and support, so much.

2 comments:

  1. Laura, I am once again getting caught up on your blogs! Last Tues Dena, Kaye and I looked at your beautiful pics. You didnt tell me u was a model. :) Very nice! I will look forward to seeing you on Tues. at PS. Your wonderful words continue to be inspiring to me! Thank You! You con't. to stay strong and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, the "newness" of your disease...not sure that it will ever wear off, actually. You pop in my mind often and every time you do, I say a prayer (and secretly wonder why - knowing that you will stay strong and will find a silver lining). Please know that although I don't write you often, you are in my thoughts and prayers daily.

    I'm so glad you're going to listen to your body in deciding when anything (like WORK!!) is too much. Half days can be very cool, ya know.

    Hey, why the hat in these pics? Love you minus the hat... it distracts from your soul shining through your eyes, smile, and whole face! Look at those model pics again; beautiful!

    Take it easy, girl. Prayers continue.... love you...

    ReplyDelete