Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August 11, 2010 - Trading Hilton Head Island for Newport Aquarium

It seemed like only yesterday when school let out and my mom and I bought our plane tickets to Hilton Head Island for August 11-15. It was going to be our last big, relaxing vacation before school started for the both of us again. We were supposed to leave today...but cancer had other plans for us ;) Unfortunately, we had to cancel our vacation because of chemo tomorrow. Plus, chemotherapy and the beach really just don't go together very well. I thought I would try to somehow get my fill of the ocean through the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky today...little did I know I would be getting so much more than Hilton Head could ever offer me!

Andrew and I headed down to Newport and I couldn't believe my eyes! It was 10:30 in the morning and we passed a guy drinking a tall Bud Light! I was speechless! What surprised me the most was that it was 10:30 IN THE MORNING!!! Disturbing! Anyway, we got to Kentucky where we picked up my friend Amy and her beautiful daughter, Juliana. I was feeling a little fatigued, but I was like a kid in a candy store when we got to the Aquarium. SO EXCITED to see all the fish, sharks, stingrays, jellyfish, and most of all the SEA TURTLES!! It was crowded, but I could have stayed all day reading all of the information about the different ocean life. I took frequent breaks because I was getting so tired, more than usual for some reason. But then it happened...I went to Heaven I think. I got to the coral reef part and literally felt like I was in the ocean! Right there with all the animals! The aquarium literally surrounded you... beside you, above you, and under you. It was incredible...I took a video of it but it won't upload on here for you too see! :( (I'm gonna keep trying to make it work!) The sharks swam RIGHT beside you with their teeth out, and the sea turtle looked me in the EYES! I swear!!! Now I have swam with the sea turtles in real life while snorkeling in the Virgin Islands (I even got to touch them I got so close!!), but I never saw one this big and stay this close to me. I couldn't believe how good I felt in those moments. Whether it was excitement or a burst of energy, I don't know, but I felt SO GOOD being in that coral reef after feeling so weird the whole afternoon . Literally, for that 30 minutes I was in there just staring at the animals, I didn't have one care in the world. Not ONE! I was lost in the ocean with all the animals. So much so that Andrew and Amy were sitting outside waiting for me and I didn't even notice! I could have been in there ALL DAY! I went out, sat beside them on the bench speechless, and just smiled...then teared up and almost cried I was so happy! Nothing could top my day at that point...but I was wrong again!!
Just SOME of the pictures from today at the Aquarium...
Me and my favorite animal (The animal at the bottom is a mix between a shart and a sting ray...COOL! I have another pic of it 5 pics down)
After the Aquarium, we had Cold Stone Creamery...YUMM!!! Then went across the Purple People Bridge that connected Kentucky to Ohio...unfortunately, the Cincinnati Reds lost today :( Then, we went to Amy's home and she made us her famous authentic curry while Andrew was playing with Juliana and claiming he was going to teach her to walk today. Oh boy you guys, you have not had curry until you have had hers! She makes it the real way with all the spices to make it just like the curry in Sri Lanka! We even attempted to eat it with our hands and it was a success! Clean plates without even touching a fork...you would have been proud Johannas!! He was working unfortunately so he couldn't join us for most of the day. But we stuck around until he got home...and then the best part of the day happened. Their daughter, Juliana took her first steps!!! She was playing with her dad, and all the sudden, there it was...she took like five steps! I got to witness a child taking her first steps and it was beautiful! To see the look on a mom and dad's face when their first child takes their first steps was priceless. I want that. We want that. Andrew and I want to have children and see them take their first steps and have that joy in our lives like Amy and Johannas had today. I want that more than swimming with the sea turtles again! CRAZY!!! (I must be either growing up or cancer has shaken me up a it :) All I really know is God had a bigger plan in store for me on this August 11, 2010...it wasn't shopping and the beach in Hilton Head, it wasn't my love for sea turtles at Newport Aquarium...it was for me to witness such an amazing part of life that I now, without a doubt, do not want to live without. I want to be a mommy :)

Amy, Juliana, and I crossing the Purple People Bridge

The beautiful beauty that took her first steps today!


1 comment: