Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Cause I Would Be Curious Too :)

Laura by day...
LuLu Lola by night!!!I'm sure you were curious about what my hair looks like..I would be if I were you!! :) I'm trying to be sensitive with my natural hair because it's still falling out when I touch it. It's still weird to grab a pinch full of hair (I say 'pinch full' because 'hand full' would just be a complete lie ;), and what you just grabbed still falls out. You don't ever really get used to it. I was REALLY tired of the thin hair that I had. When it was wet, the pieces that were still long on top was honestly no thicker than a piece of paper when bundled together. I figured it was time to take those remaining long pieces off since I was still wrapping a towel on my wet hair after I got out of the shower :) Not much there to wrap up...force of habit I guess!
So today was a special day for me...
Ash, my hair stylist and bestest friend any girl could ask for, helped build my confidence one more time today. She has been a TOTAL sport with me through this, there from the beginning thinking of things I didn't, and she's there til the end. She cut my long hair short when I was indecisive, she was there to dry my tears and order my wig (from the internet Henry Marcu...way less expensive!), and was there to tell me I was still beautiful when my hair was no longer than a paper clip and thinner than I could ever imagine! So today was the big fitting to get the wig cut and styled! I told her I was booking an appointment for LuLu...she is my alternative personality that is gonna come out when the wig comes on :) This could be FUN!! I chose LuLu because Ash has called me Laura Loo forever...so the name is dedicated to her. Ash- May the personality that LuLu brings out during this time make you proud my friend ;) The last name Lola is to all of my old school church friends at 1CHOG...may my personality that Lola brought back then, shine through right now too :) That was one of the happiest times in my life and only you people could understand Lola!
See....cancer isn't all that bad! I get to wear fun wigs! I even have a blond one that I wore for Halloween last year...watch out people...this could get crazy!!! :D No really, I wanted something to wear when a hat just doesn't match, and for those days when I just want to have hair again. I am still a girl you know?! The bald head seems to be the sign of cancer, and I'm not ashamed of it. It's a part of my life right now, and at first it was hard to embrace, but it gets better with time. The best part?? I get to sleep-in like 15 extra minutes in the morning!! But, I don't think the bald look is for me, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to have my hair come back in again:) Thanks friends for your hair support, you make me feel confident in the bald body I'm in :)
**HUGE props to My Hair Lady in Shawnee. Hair styles can totally help you feel better about yourself and give you the change that you need. The atmosphere at My Hair Lady is so awesome and the hair stylist are GREAT! Try them out!! My fav is Ash :) **

3 comments:

  1. Lookin' good Laura! I'm glad you're out of the funk from last week. I can't imagine you unhappy and without that beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bald is beautiful!!!! and so are you! I've been meaning to send you a note....I've been praying for you and thinking about you often. I hope that your next round of chemo next week is easier for you and that you feel like yourself sooner than last time. I totally understand what you were feeling on those down days and I sooo wanted to give you a call when I read your blog. If you want, message me on facebook your phone number and I'll give you a call sometime. I love your wig and I hope you are feeling well today. One day at a time!!! Much love, Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Laura and LuLu Lola they BOTH look good(and fun)! The atmosphere at My Hair Lady is awesome! I would have to say Ash is my fav too!!(LOL) I am glad things are going well for you. Take care. Love and Prayers, Kelly

    ReplyDelete