Thursday, August 26, 2010

Chemo got Cancelled

I woke up this morning, feeling the same feelings of 'Where did the two weeks go?! Can't I have more time to feel 'good'?!' Then other feelings of relief came when I thought about how after this I am half way done! But before I got another thought, the sound of Coopers whimpers reminded me that it's not all about me and I was up with my eyes half way shut from them being swollen this morning. I literally washed my face, threw on my hat, and I was out the door because people don't really care what you look like when you get treatments, right? I met my sister at the Cancer Center since Andrew was working and walked in. We sat down and laughed as we waited to see the doctor. At some points I didn't know if I was laughing so hard I was crying or if it was from the eye viral infection that's been bothering me for the past three days now. When we got called back to the ever so familiar office, Dr.Powell didn't walk in, it was a new doctor. My doc was getting re- certified by taking 'the big test' again. That made me happy knowing the board was keeping him on top of his game...I knew I was in good hands. This new oncologist worked in Washington D.C. and was just filling in for the moment. Well, both nurses and doc took a look at my eyes and blood work and gave me the news... 'The best thing for you and your body is to wait a week before chemo to get over whatever is going on.' I was thinking, 'Man! My wish came true! I get another week of good health!'. Now, I get to work in my room to get the finishing touches up and WORK next week feeling GOOD. They were thinking, 'Get this girl healthy before we make her sick again.' :)
They gave me some meds to clear up this infection and I was told to eat more leafy greens and red meats to keep my protein up. My red blood cells are a little low which shows that I'm slightly anemic right now. But its nothing that some good BEEF can't cure :) How lucky am I?! There are some bad parts though. Now that I am pushed back a week it is interfering with some fun future plans that we had :( Hopefully I will have strength to do these things cause I wouldn't want to miss a Labor Day Picnic, a wedding, a Hocking Hills trip, or a formal dinner for the Fire Dept. because of chemo. I was so lucky these events all fell on my 'good weeks'. I'm also not half way done with chemo after leaving the Cancer Center today like I thought....man, maybe I really DIDN'T want an extra week. Shoulda thought that one through before I wished for it ;)

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

3 comments:

  1. Laura, I hope that you are feeling better real soon.. I was so excited that we got a chance to talk on Monday. Keep posting your blog, it is wonderful. Well I got my staples out today and a few of them hurt really bad, but no pain no gain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEVER GIVE UP Laura! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    I hope that you know how much Kelly and I love you and want good things for you and Andrew.Every since you were small and playing with Ashley, I knew you were/are special! You are an inspiration to me and my family. God Bless You and Andrew! As always Laura, if you need anything, you know who to call. You know I mean it, let me help if there is anything i can do.
    Love,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete