Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Trying to do so Much...with so Little.

Day 1 is down and accounted for! I made it and am so glad a glass of wine is good for the body! :) I'm back to work with the kiddos and I almost forgot just how much I liked them and their unique personalities. I'm so grateful that I have energy that I wouldn't have had if chemo stayed on schedule. I'm honest when I say I was prepared on paper, but wasn't prepared in my mind for what was to come today...or this year. I'm still not. I couldn't concentrate and I was holding onto hope that it would all work out. This past week I could not find the concentration I was so desperately needing to accomplish my goals I set forth for the first day. But we all survived, only a paper cut today; everything got done and everyone left with a smile :) It's just that it takes me twice as long to accomplish things that took me minutes to do last year. My fear is that things will not be accomplished to MY standards this year, and I feel guilty for that. Guilty because I wanted to do so much more and so much better for the kids this year, but I got a diagnosis that is like a huge road block for me right now. I hate using cancer as an excuse to get away with anything in life, so I'm NOT going to use it as an excuse. I just need to be at peace in my own mind that this year the plans and ambitions I had might not just work out like previously planned. Because I'm starting to realize that cancer does have an effect on my attitude and body. I long to put in the work and hours I feel is needed for my job to be successful and feel guilty when I do not have the energy or concentration to do it to MY standard. I'm just crazy I know, because the job is getting done, it's just me and my personality that is causing me problems. I usually push myself to beyond my boundaries and right now, I'm not because I can't physically stay awake long enough to do it :) I don't just do this at my job, but anything in life. I push myself because success feels good and to be stagnant is mind numbing! I pray for a peace of mind during this time to know that I am doing my job to the best that I can... and that is all I can ask of myself.
My dad told me I am fighting two battles right now, my guilt in that I will let my students and coworkers down and the fight against my illness. I'm realizing that if I keep fighting both fights, I'm going to get more worn down, and ultimately, it's my fight for my health that will start to lose the battle. I need to always be aware of myself enough to know that if the time comes to call it quits because I feel that the students are not getting exactly what they deserve because of my health situation, I will have to take that step back and say I can only fight one battle at a time. My work has been amazing and supportive and I am grateful for that. They help make my choice that much easier if the time ever came. But I will keep fighting for both teams as long as I can, Promise, because I am not a quitter!
Now, on to funnier times...

Well, this was taken the last night I went to the fair with my wig on. When my sister and I get around each other, we get a little crazy! We were having such a great time and I was telling her about how my wig was just as thick as her natural hair...and the next thing I knew, my wig was on top of her already massively thick hair and a clip was in my very thin and patchy hair. I just had to put the picture on here for some good laughs! Oh do our husbands hate us when we get like this in public! See how tall her poof is on top of her head?! That's my wig! The picture doesn't even show it justice because it was MASSIVE in person! Totally a 'had to be there moment', but it just had to be preserved :)

"Well Sinead O'Rebellion. Shock me, shock me, shock me with that deviant behavior" For anyone that knows me, Empire Records is one of my favorite movies and this is a line that Renee Zellwager says as she sees Debra bald for the first time. Well, the time came. My hair was about 75% gone and I couldn't take it anymore. It looked awful and I looked so sick, I looked like I had cancer :) So at 11:00 when I was home alone, I took out Andrew's electric razor and went to town. I was disappointed as I only saw a few strands of hair in the sink it was that pathetic, but still, I look so much better! Even Andrew likes it better! He said the last few weeks have been difficult because I wasn't feeling good and I looked so sick. But now that I have my energy back and my hair buzzed like a rocker chick, I saw him smile again. Like a true Andrew smile, not the fake 'I'm putting this on for you because I have to be brave for you' smile. :)
So my first night back to work with kids is coming to an end...and I'm smiling. That's a good sign :) To God be the glory for ever and ever Amen. Phil. 4:20

5 comments:

  1. Laura, good to see you smile! You have the best smile!! You continue to be in our prayers. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    Cancer is not your excuse! It is your reason! The reason you are tired, the reason you can't concentrate, the reason you have to depend on others to help, the reason, not the excuse. Others are not going to beat you up with that, so don't do it to yourself! Remember, the children love to play and they learn through play and it would be an excellent "reason" to sit back in the easy chair (sorry you can't have my rocker yet!) and do those observations we would all love to be doing!! Think of what you will learn about them sitting and observing!
    Glad to hear you are enjoying the little ones this year so far.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, I totally enjoyed seeing your wig a top your sisters head! Too funny. Glad to hear the first day went well. Listen you at least have a reason to be tired!!! Laura my butt has went home everyday after school this week and went straight to bed! I LOVE our little people but there is no doubt that they require huge amount of energy. Linda is right sit on the floor beside them and watch them play! You'll be surprised you are still talking to them non stop and actually learning all kinds of juicy tid bits through conversation. Stay strong and well rested and remember if you need a break TAKE it. We will still all be here cheering for you step by step. Love ya girl, Alaina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shock me, Shock me!? You did not just quote Empire! I didn't think about you shaving it off and that movie but now I'm laughing. Good memories. I love that movie!

    Take it easy girlie! Don't put so much pressure on yourself to meet last years standards at school. Wake up, do your best and leave the rest with God. Glad the first day back left you smiling.
    *hugs*
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Laura...girl, I totally understand about your standards. Those standards are part of what makes you, YOU! A little reality check here though - even if you "lowered" your standards by 50%, you'd still be the amazing observer and teacher that you are. You have that gift of awareness (remember our talking about that gift last year?); it's an extra awareness about kids (and grown-ups too) and it feeds your standards and motivates you.

    Maybe for now, just for now, play a little more music for the kiddos, let them spend a little more time drawing... they'll love you for it and you'll learn even more about them observing as they listen to the music and as they draw. Who knows what you'll observe that will lead to your having just the right reaction or just the right word(s)later in the year, when one of the kids need it the most.

    They say we all learn the most when we're calm and happy and not pressured. Music and drawing are wonderful breaks in our hectic days to invite the calm and the happiness. Amazingly, writing IEP goals/objectives and matching them to curriculum -- not so much.

    Take good care of yourself, Laura.

    Play more music... love you, Laura,
    Henni

    ReplyDelete