Tuesday, July 13, 2010

After a long day...it's still a Thumbs Up!

In the room at St.Rita's Medical Center right after surgery :o)

Hey friends!!
Today I woke up before the sun came up, 5:15 to be exact. I haven't done that in a long time and not looking forward to doing it again anytime soon. :) This girl loves her sleep! I was so glad that Andrew was able to get off work an hour early today so that he could be there with me today as I got my PowerPort put in. This is what the nurses at the Cancer Center are going to use to hook my IV's during chemotherapy up to. It will save my veins in the long run so the pain right now is all worth it. This story of today is kinda crazy...

I couldn't believe how calm I was this morning. Maybe I was still sleeping, but as I waited in the pre-op room I was doing so good. I even bled like crazy from the IV and I was still good! No Xanax this time! (I probably would have taken it if they offered, but I had to wait to see the doctor before any drugs could be administered). So after the IV was put in, I said a quick good-bye to Andrew, and I was wheeled to the operating room. When we got there, only one person was in this huge room. He said the doctor and nurse were running late so we would get started as soon as they got there. So needless to say, I started getting nervous as I watched him prep the big, bad operating room for forty minutes as more and more people started showing up. Literally, everything I think they do before you get wheeled into the room, I was there watching him do it. My hope would have been that everything was ready when I got there, that way they could sedate me within minutes and then on with the show! But since I couldn't have any drugs before I talked to the doctor, I watched as they hooked me up to machines, cleaned my chest, unwrapped all the tools they were going to use (yes...NEEDLES!), put the operating blanket on me, then to top it off...put the curtain up around my head so I couldn't see anything. Then we just WAITED! My heartbeat was no less than 100 beats per minute and they kept telling me to take a deep breath and try to calm down. I wasn't hysterical or anything, just the nervous tears. They all were trying so hard to comfort me. But I tell you, I thought to myself that I must be stronger than what I think I am. Because the ol saying says that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, well He was pushing it today :) Today was a situation that I never thought I would get through, it was like the stories you hear about being awake during surgery. It was funny, I even reminded them before we got started to give me the meds (just in case they forgot...I mean it seriously felt like forever, and they weren't talking to me mainly, so I wondered if they would forget!)

So during this time that I am just laying on the table under this curtain, I thought 'God, if You are putting me through this right now, when You KNOW how anxious I get, You must be trying to tell me something.' If all that came out of today is that I needed to know that I am stronger than what I think I am capable of, then that's ok. I'll take it, because I actually did come out of there more confident. I conquered a huge fear today, and I am pretty proud of myself. So often we don't give ourselves credit. I will admit that I could have done better in there today, I would have not liked for them to see me cry or be so anxious, but at that time it was ok. Actually, the nurse came over to me and started telling me about her daughter and how she had the same surgery I had 5 years ago, Chiari Malformation. My emotions gave me the opportunity to talk to this nurse openly, and in return, I started to breath easier, and my heart rate came down. She did her job well too I might add :)

Then the doc got there and he did a great job. The meds went in within minutes and I was in my dream world again. No pain (except for the burning numbing needle again...but this time I knew what was coming so I was prepared:) and we were once again done before I knew it. I was bandaged up and taken back to my room where I felt great and even ate a turkey sandwich. What I should have remembered from last time (bone marrow biopsy) was that the numbing wears off...so what did I do as soon as I left??? Not Wal-Mart, but went to both my sis's house because I insisted that they had to have the pictures I had from vacation. Andrew being the good husband he is, said 'Are you sure?' and I said, 'Ya, I feel great!' Well, we didn't stay long and went straight home...just like before. Actually, it was like de' ja vu...I went to sleep for three hours and ate grandma's leftovers again. The pain right now will be worth it in the end. I have stitches in two places, the first one is on the right side of my chest where the port was installed and the second is near my neck by the jugular vein. They ran the catheter up from the port, inserted it into the jugular vein at my neck, then ran it to the heart. Right now my chest and neck are just sore from the surgery, so that means it should wear off here in a couple days.

Andrew was awesome again. He moved my favorite chair from the den to the living room. I think I will sleep there tonight because it hurts to lay down straight. Jon, one of our great friends came over to make brats for supper (not just any brats...awesome brats!). And my sister Sarah came over to help me wash my hair because I can't do it by myself at the moment. She even dried and straightened it too. Tomorrow I have another busy day. Pulmonary Function Test in the morning with my moma (which I'm still curious to see how this will go over since I am only getting about half the deep breath as I could before the Port was put in), visiting with some friends, and then finally seeing Eclipse with my sister Julie!

Andrew's grandma sent me a verse from the Bible that helps during situations like today when I felt like I was being tested by God on my strength. Its Romans 12:12 - 'Rejoice in hope, be patient in adversity, and constant in prayer.' I really did just need to be patient today in the operating room, pray for my strength, and rejoice in the fact that I will be healed in just a short time, and then of the long life I will live!

Thank you all for your continued support,

Laura

6 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to get some sun and relax with great friends. You are incredible! Each day is one step in this journey- take it one at a time. Sending love and prayers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura-You are so brave!! I am happy your procedure went so well. I too love praise praise and worship songs. Here are two links to my favorite ones. I am sure you have heard them both. I am going to drop a Matt Maher CD off to your dad. You will probably like him too. I am going to a free outdoor concert in Tolded in August to see him.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COQ6cni_TG8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhJ8l6th7As

    I keep you and Andrew in prayer. You are such an inspiration to women!!!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your posts and I'm so glad you are sharing this experience with your friends. You are definately not alone and we are all praying for you and cheering for you! You are stronger than you think... it sounds like you are realizing that more and more each day! :) We are all inspired by your courage and trust in the Lord. Take one moment at a time, God has you in his hands.

    Jenny (Altstaetter) Kleffman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo excited to spend the evening with you! Now you know almost exactly what a c-section surgery was like so you will be ready for babies in no time! I have great faith that God is going to bless you in more ways than you can ever imagine!! (Laura and Andrew plus 8...LOL!!)I am so ready to see how awesomely God works in this situation so that when it is all said and done we can give Him the glory for your recovery (and you the props for going through it all with a smile and positive attitude!!) Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura you are totally an AMAZING and AWESOME person!!! Our prayers are with you and your family! Thanks for keeping everyone updated. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing...smiling and beautiful after having a procedure! You are so positive, and I'm sure your faith will help you overcome this. Thank you for sharing your experience and keeping us all "up to speed".

    ReplyDelete