Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Story of Cooper

This is Cooper! He is an almost 3 month old Black Lab/Dachshund Mix (weird huh?!) BUT SO ADORABLE!

So here is the story...
Andrew is a dog person, not a cat person. And I am a cat person, not a dog person. Well, when Andrew was away at boot camp in the summer of 2005, my dad caved in and surprised me with letting me get a cat from the human society because it would help cheer me up during my brain surgery. And she TOTALLY did! Well I decided to pay it forward... :) Andrew has been wanting a dog since we got engaged. I have NEVER had a dog before and frankly wasn't that determined to get one either. I made up excuse, after excuse, to hold off. Well like I said, this diagnosis has changed my mind frame a bit! Plus, you all who have shown me so many different ways on how to be happy through a bad time (geez...just your support has gotten me so far, I could go on and on but I will save that for another days blog:). So, 'Why not have a dog?' I couldn't think of a reason not to. I think the most challenging thing will be the couple days after my chemo treatments, but that will only last another 3 months. But I thought, 'If it is the RIGHT dog, he will bring both of us so much happiness.' So I knew my sister-in-law Beth was coming into town so I told her a few days ahead of my plan to SURPRISE Andrew with a dog. But ONLY if the planets aligned :) Seriously, I was not going to get a dog for the heck of it, there had to be a connection (you know what I mean...like when you buy a house because you just KNOW, or when you find the one you are going to marry because you just KNOW...well with a dog, I was just gonna have to KNOW :) So I kept my plans a secret...Andrew left for work and Beth came to town. We looked at the humane society first because I had already looked at DOTS, great place, just too small of dogs. I knew Andrew would never let me get a lap dog. He wanted a golden retriever or a lab. Well needless to say...no connection with the crazy dogs at the humane society! God love them, but my heart rate went sky high they were so loud and routy! They gotta be for someone, just not for me (but my Kota cat was from the humane society, there was a connection and she was DEFINITELY for me!)
So then we went to Jacks Pet Store. I walked in and saw him and his brother. I pulled out his brother first because he was all black with white paw prints...so cute! We played, but I just kept eyeing his brother still in the cage. So I got both of them out together. They played, but the second dog seemed more tame. I put the first dog back and played with our future dog. He melted my heart, and dogs do not melt my heart. The planets had aligned and a connection was made. Knowing Andrew, I knew he would love this dog. I had no doubt. So Cooper came with me and we were off to surprise Andrew at the fire station! This is us driving to the fire station to see Andrew, I'm giving him the pep talk on how he has to be a good dog and win his heart!
So I called Andrew and told him to meet me outside. Luckily they were not on a call and had just gotten done with a meeting. I started getting nervous as he came out saw me holding our new dog! At first, he thought it was Beth's dog, but when I told him it was our new dog, he said with a smile 'Our new dog?!' I reassured him it was our dog, bought and paid for, and he was here to make us happy! Oh, was he surprised and happy...SUCCESS!
Andrew took him up to the fire house to get him some water because it was SO hot outside and we were having quite the day so far. He was really such a good dog while we were there and Andrew fell in love I think :) I asked him if he was ok with it not being a full lab, and he said yes. That he had been thinking actually, and for a house dog he really wasn't sure if he wanted a bigger dog for our first dog (I know, 'first dog'...let's just take this one day at a time for this new dog lover :). Cooper is perfect though because he will get big, just probably not really tall.It was about time for us to leave so we took our first family picture (sorry Kota!) and Andrew got his lick good-bye from Cooper. Andrew was ABSOLUTELY surprised that I showed up with a dog. Never in a million years would I have done this...but lets start LIVING right?? What was I waiting for?? I have found a whole new kind of happiness with dogs. They really are neat animals.So Beth and I took Cooper to his new home. Andrew and I's home. We were now 'dog people' :) In just a few short sentences, he was nothing but GREAT for the first night. Everything that happened was expected for a puppy in a new home, and he was a perfect fit into our family. Even Kota hasn't killed him! Actually, last night Kota was on the top of the couch and Cooper was sitting by me. I thought the world might end right there! You see, Kota just doesn't like other animals or people around besides Andrew and I, and for her to do that on the first night about put me in tears :`) He never barks, only when you leave him at night! And he cuddles like a pro! He was meant for me!! I'm not kidding, he is a PERFECT dog. And that takes a lot for anyone who knows me to say about a dog. Well, we could work on this whole bathroom thing, but thats too be expected right?? Here is Beth with Cooper...I couldn't have done it without you Beth!!! So my planned worked and just like my dad surprised me with Kota, I surprised Andrew with Cooper. Somehow, animals can just help make a bad situation better. And Cooper has put our focus on something else and is making us happier. So tonight, Andrew and Cooper are asleep on the couch together as I am writing this blog, and I am happy because he is happy. That's what marriage and compromise is about right? Andrew has been nothing but positive and supportive throughout this last month of chaos, and he deserved every bit of Cooper coming to live with us. I'm sure we will have a ton of new adventures with him...so I better make this a page in my scrapbook to show my great-grandkids one day of awesome things to do in life ;) I encourage you guys to surprise someone you love in the next few days. It doesn't have to be anything big like getting a dog (Andrew and Cooper just truly deserved each other), but I guarantee that whatever it is that you do, will make YOU ten times more happier than the one who is receiving the gift :) I'm over the moon right now about how happy Andrew is right now...and I'm happy about a dog. ME?! LOVING A DOG?! I think the chemo has gotten to my brain somehow.... HAHA!!



5 comments:

  1. That's awesome!!! Yay for God taking a little puppy and making him bring such joy to your home :) Start LIVING is right!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... We had a chocolate lab named Cooper when my husband and I got married. So sweet. Glad to hear you're doing well. You remain in prayer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are in so much trouble, Laura! With a face like that, how can Cooper ever do wrong? He is going to have you both in the palm of his paw. I hope Kota warms up to him, a picture of the two of them asleep together would just make me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love. Take him with you the next time you come to Iowa. Although I might keep him. haha. I have always wanted a lab for my big dog and a Dachshund for my little dog. So he's perfect. :-)

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey laura,
    you are an amazing person and i look up to you greatly!!!! look at you so strong !!!!! i will be checking in on you
    heather

    ReplyDelete