Saturday, July 3, 2010

Our Newest Prayer

First off....can I please say a HUGE THANK YOU TO ALLLLLL OF YOU!!!!!!!!

I am seriously overwhelmed with all of your thoughts and prayers coming my way. I have never felt so blessed in my entire life than I do now because I am surrounded by such wonderful people all rooting for me. It makes me realize that if we all take a step back from our own lives, give some encouragement to other people once in a while, this world we live in with so much sadness could completely turn itself around. I mean, so many things can get us down these days, but I can tell you first hand that when you are encouraged by someone else, your fight gets lightened up just a bit. And you Smile :) Could you imagine what it would be like if you could hear God encouraging you everyday? Life would be easy if we audible heard Him everyday. God never said our life would be easy, but you know what??? Through prayer and intuition (you know that thought that comes into your head while praying) you might get some of the answers you are looking for. But sometimes its hard to follow through with that thought because you have to step out of your comfort zone. This, this blog, THIS is out of my comfort zone. But you know what, I have been SO BLESSED from going out of my comfort zone. Try it you guys. Pray, take that outrageous thought that comes to your head that you say you could never do, and DO IT. The least you can do is try. I tell you what, it is the times in my life when I fail, that I learn the most from.

Ok, now that I totally got off topic...we have a special prayer request....
The doctor told me that with the treatment I am using, the ABVD chemo drugs, I have a 20% of being infertile after treatment. Now at first I thought 20%, no big deal...but then I thought 'Wait, someone has to be that 20%'. I automatically thought of my chances even lowering because of how infertile I am already with PCOS. So needless to say, my brain starting wondering about what I should do so that Andrew and I can have our own children in the future. Literally folks, I told Andrew, not much is going to get me down in life, but the day I am told that I can't have my own children is the day you will have to drag me out of bed (hopefully this never has to happen). My heart ACHES for the women out there who so desperately want to have their own children but can't. So, because Andrew DOES NOT want to see that day come :), we spoke to my OB/GYN who referred us to the Toledo Fertility Center of NW Ohio. After talking with them, we have an appointment on Thursday, July 8 at 2:00. The bad part is, is that the process it takes to take out my eggs, fertilize them (that makes me laugh :) and freeze the embryos takes a FEW weeks...I have ONE. And that week is already pretty booked with other appointments to start the chemo process. To top it off, this process ONLY happens if my eggs are mature enough to do so. My oncology doctor will not push back my chemo treatments to have the egg procedure done because the tumor in my chest is already so big that he says if we wait any longer, it could cut off my breathing (we all know what happens then!) and he doesn't want to chance it for such a low fertility risk factor. I understand completely and agree! So I honestly at this point have NO IDEA if this can even happen until I hear from the fertility doctor. Andrew and I just really wanted to make sure we took every step possible in making a future with children in it. Can I just say real quick....Andrew is awesome. He can take my mixed up thought, arrange them in order, and have me completely calm in seconds. When I feel like giving up in 10 seconds, he simply says 'Let's just keep trying and see what happens.' He has seriously been there in every way during this whole process. If you can, don't forget to encourage him also...he's the one who has to put up with this hot mess 24/7 :) We do have hope and I have heard that MANY people do have children after cancer treatments...so needless to say, I am very optimistic too, if this egg thing doesn't work out...but its never a bad thing to be prepared.

Anyway....our prayer is this........ 'God, we have done our part and have looked into our options at this point in time. We put this into Your hands. If the timing works out and we can have the procedure done, great. Our chances at having our own children increase. If it doesn't, we know that somehow this was Your divine plan for our lives. May you open our hearts to all the options YOU have out there for us to have our own children one day. Even if these children do not come from our own bodies, we will praise You because You are faithful.'

Thanks all, and HAPPY 4th of JULY!!! I'm so glad for the freedoms I have...but man will it be nice to not think of the Army anymore after August...ANDREW IS DONE after 6 years of service! :)

6 comments:

  1. Laura, I always say prayer is the answer..... As long as we have the faith, then things will work out. Praying for you and Andrew thru all of of this. Sometimes we never know all the special friends we have...Also praying that you have a wonderful vacation with your family, and enjoy the beach........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here girl. Like I said any question you might have that I could answer I would be so happy to help! It would make my experience a little more positive knowing I helped someone who I admire so much. :) Keep the faith in times like this it's what gets us through.
    Love you, Alaina

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Laura-

    I wrote this last night, but somehow deleted. This blogging thing is a pretty new experience for me too. I was reading your blog about how wonderful Andrew is. Your dad has mentioned that many times, but somehow hearing it in your writing made it so real. He sounds like he is your "Prince Charming" and that he will be carrying you on his white horse during this pursuit. Please know that Team Apollo also has Andrew in our prayers too.

    The real reason for bloggig today is to share with you that I have a friend who was diagnosed with cancer when she was 28. She experienced her oncologist sharing with her the possibility of infertility as a result of the chemo. She also did not have time to hold off on the chemo to freeze her eggs. I remember so clearly 12 years ago, when she cam back from her appointment and layed her head on my shoulders and cried and cried, as this upset her more than the fact that she actually had cancer. Since Carol's recovery, she has had two little girls. So keep being optimistic and remember meds have come along way since then. Also, she as offered to be a support and talk to you when you need it. Even though you don't know her and she doesn't know you, she has spent alot of time participating in the Reach to Recovery program. She especially likes to work with young woman that she can share her story with and be someone that they can relate too. If you want her contact information, please let me know. She will be an awesome cheerleader. She too is an educator-we all seem to be able to relate.

    Enjoy the rest of your vacation and remember Team Apollo is cheering on both you and Andrew!!!!

    Take care,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deidre sent me over. I am inspired by your faith. I 'm adding you to my prayer list, because I to believe in the power of prayer!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a real inspiration Laura!! We just got back from the lake and I had to rush to my computer to check for your update. I have been praying for you and will continue to pray for you and Andrew. Cancer is a rough word to hear in a sentence with your name in it..stay strong and know that you are loved by many:))

    ReplyDelete