Monday, July 26, 2010

Lesson Learned: Tomatoes = Acid Reflux

So I thought that since I have been feeling so good this week, that I could start to eat like I used to…including tomatoes (good thing cookies haven’t bothered me yet…I’ve been eating the smiley face cookies I got from a friend at work...YUM!! Thanks Sue S.!). Well, I found out the hard way that I can’t eat just everything yet. Tomatoes are a killer! Even just ketchup on a hotdog caused me acid reflux last night. I have never had acid reflux in my life and for anyone who struggles with this on a daily basis, I feel for you! Oh, the burning in my esophagus just about made me throw up! Not fun, so unfortunately I will be staying away from anything that has tomatoes in it for the next few months because I have learned my lesson! And yes, that means my favorite…PIZZA! And spaghetti, and most of all, fresh homemade salsa made from our garden. I guess I will be making it for Andrew now. Oh, the garden is another story! I was determined to have my first garden this year, even though I had NO CLUE what I was doing. And of course the spot I wanted to start it in was where an old tree stump used to be, so basically I am starting a gardened in mulch:) Throughout our trials with this garden (trust me, for some reason this garden was against us from the start) it has actually come through for us! I had my first freshly picked green beans a couple days ago. Indescribable! They were so good! And this is coming from the girl who didn’t think you could eat pears off of a tree…they had to be in a can :) This is a pic of my green beans...I just had to show them off I was so excited! And the other stuff is polish sausage and sauerkraut on mashed potatoes (I'm now a fan of this meal because of Judy S. They have it as a tradition on New Years Day, but I love it so I have to have it other times too! Try it!) I already told Andrew we are making the garden twice the size next year with even more veggies…he just rolled his eyes at my ambition :)

Besides the tomato episode, this week has been great! I’ve really been feeling good and Cooper keeps our spirits up! We are in the potty training mode, which can be frustrating when you think he has it, then bam…accident. I’m starting to get more used to his schedule, and punishing him can be so hard! I’m great at giving the treats, so I think I will stick with that job. I had to leave him for the first time when we went to church on Sunday. That puppy face can just get to you! I made Andrew put him in his crate while I was already outside. It’s too sad to see him in there...I’m such a softy! This truly was a match made in Heaven...I'm in love I think. He is super good and just follows me everywhere. He sleeps a lot too and tries to be friends and play with Kota...I'm not sure she is ready to take their relationship to the next level :) I felt ok leaving Cooper because church was great this week. Again, I could sing all day, but the sermon was extra special. Maybe because I could relate it to my life easily. It’s all about trust now. I can’t control my future, I just have to trust God that He has control. So far I haven’t been let down. There hasn't been anything I haven't been able to handle yet (even when I don't think I can, I always somehow do!) But really, when I was singing in church, I was happy. I thought ‘If I am this happy singing in church, what’s it gonna be like in Heaven?’ That happy feeling has to be a million times greater in Heaven, so I’m not afraid to die now or in 60 more years. My relationship with God will get me there and I’m gonna sing loud people so watch out…cause it’s not that good!!!
Then we went out to Red Lobster with Andrew’s mom and some of our new church friends. That was an answered prayer right there too! We started attending Shawnee Alliance Church in January with the hopes to set some new roots somewhere and meet some new people our age. My old First Church of God friends came through for me and helped me pray that this would be the right church for us…and there you have it. Prayers answered…we love the church and have met some wonderful friends. God hears prayers. I have seen it and now I believe it. Well, Cooper is waking up and I better follow him, I don't want any surprises anywhere in the house later :) Tonight I am cooking some yummy Sutters Farm produce and busy trying to get stuff together for a family garage sale next week before my chemo treatment this Thursday…who knows what next week will bring! I've heard some pretty crazy stories about round 2 chemo! The summer weather is awesome outside today! I hope you all are outside enjoying it...last week of July already, where has the summer gone too??

1 comment:

  1. John and I continue to pray for you, Laura!

    Also, we saw Coooper at Jack's a few weeks ago. We went on a Saturday night after we'd gone to Panera for dinner. I thought he was ADORABLE and am so thankful that YOU were the one to get him! :)

    ReplyDelete