Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Hike to Success!

Hello from what feels like a Wheaties champion!

So this week is a big week coming up for me. I’m going to do my best to keep it together and not bawl like a baby. :) In just four more days I will have my last chemo treatment. And hopefully my very last for the rest of my life! I simply can not believe how fast the past four and half months have gone by…but I will talk about that later.
Right now, I want to talk about how I went on a hike at Hocking Hills! (ok-I need to make a side note...when I say 'hike' that's my inner heart speaking, it's more like 'walk'-reality speaking) Yes, I said I was going to do it and I did (with a trial 'hike' first to see if I could really do it :). For some reason I really wanted to see if I could complete a hike while having cancer/treatment and I can cross that off my list of yes I can. Andrew, me, and his brother and sister in law all went to Hocking Hills and I completed a trail! Now, I may have been slow and at times annoying/complaining, but I did it! LOTS of kudos to Beth for having us start at the end of the trail first…we did a lot more downhill walking it seamed than uphill. When I was little, my favorite Bible verse was Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I think I liked it best because it was short :) However, those words came into play as I seemed to have said them over and over throughout that walk! See, I’m almost in tears again. You just have no idea how proud of myself I am. I had the courage to do this when cancer said no, don’t. I fought through pain to feel mentally successful and it’s just what I needed going into this last treatment…into life and work again. To feel like I am a successful person and that I can start something difficult and finish it. I can start chemotherapy and finish it successfully. I wanted to do this hike to prove to myself I CAN. Don’t get me wrong, I questioned it all the way until I saw the exit. Like Thomas Edison said "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." But I didn’t give up. I didn’t give up. My momma taught me better than that!

Now because of this hike, I was like a zombie afterwards…in and out of sleep for a few hours and then I slept for thirteen hours straight! I think my body was just a tad bit tired and in recovery mode. But I didn’t care at the time. It felt so good to work my muscles and lungs again and work on the physical part of this Pursuit. I felt so blessed and so happy to be OVER my cold and that my lungs hung in there. I’m curious to see what the doctors say about them after treatment is all said and done. I had shortness of breath on my walk, but I was able to go at my pace so I kept it in check. But by the end, I was ready to just sit and watch the OSU game :) I really wonder if I will have full lung capacity like I had before all of this. Chemotherapy (mainly the Bleomycin drug) and radiation can cause fibrosis (scarring of the lungs) and a CT scan will check for scarring tissue. There really isn’t anything you can do for it besides a lung transplant if it is REALLY bad (I’m nowhere near that bad), I’m just curious to see if the CT scan shows anything. We’ll see! So in ending this, I just have three words… NEVER GIVE IN!

Hocking Hills Hike 2010

A glimpse of Heaven
Success!

The men in my life

Andrew and Tim Sometimes you just have to draw the line and say No. :) Cooper wouldn't budge.

One very tired couple.

7 comments:

  1. Never Give In!!! I think I have heard your father say this before. I am so happy for you being able to accomplish this hike right before your last treatment. You are so strong!!!! I have ready about your foggy and down in the dumps days, so this was very rewarding I am sure. Remember we all have those days that we don't feel like we will ever succeed or make any progress. It is days like this that we need to trust in God and put everything in His hands.
    He is listening to you-Reading about your trip to school to see the kids was true evidence. God shines through all the smiles and laughs of these little people and it was just what you needed. I will pray that your last chemo goes well for you and I will pray that the doctors will make the right decisions about future treatments. Take care!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a Wheaties champion in my book! I took that hike as a teenager on a hot summer day-my mom hated it (ask George-we all remember her complaining all the way!). But you and your close family (and dogs) made a memory to last forever! And a very positive one for all of us to peek in on. I love the "glimpse of heaven" picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on completing another goal! The pictures are beautiful, and you are so right, Cooper is getting big! Thoughts and prayers are with you this week. I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just being at Hocking Hills has healing power. I'm sure of it! I grew up going there camping all of the time. Being there feels like home! I'm so proud of you for reaching your goal! You are such an encouragement. Praying for you as you get ready for this last cancer treatment:) Lots of love to you and Andrew from Dayton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayer for the end of chemo:
    Psalm 60:11,12 "Give us aid against the enemy, for the help of men is worthless. With God we will gain the victory, and he will trample down our enemies."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, your Pursuit these last 5 months brings to mind Psalm 112:7 "[A righteous woman] will have no fear of bad news; [her] heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord." You are living proof that God equips where he sends. Thanks for sharing the blessings and the struggles and the VICTORIES! Love, Mama G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura I would appreciate it if you would let me know ahead of time when you leave the city!!! Seriously I have to learn on your blog about your day. BUT I love love love the pics, and it looked like an awesome "hike". So i'll let you slide this time. But next time get the ok from me ;) Love ya and NEVER GIVE IN!!!

    ReplyDelete